stretch disk label problems

Gene Heskett-4
I need to fix the disk partition labels on this 2T drive I've installed
stretch on.

tune2fs on wheezy is too old, won't touch the stretch prepared drive.

I haven't found a tune2fs yet on stretch, but did after 10 minutes of
putzing, get a root session of gparted going, but of course the device
is mounted when booted to stretch, so the stretch gparted can't cross a
t or dot an i.

So how can I fix that?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: stretch disk label problems

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 08:07:25AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I need to fix the disk partition labels on this 2T drive I've installed
> stretch on.
>
> tune2fs on wheezy is too old, won't touch the stretch prepared drive.
>
> I haven't found a tune2fs yet on stretch, but did after 10 minutes of
> putzing, get a root session of gparted going, but of course the device
> is mounted when booted to stretch, so the stretch gparted can't cross a
> t or dot an i.
>
> So how can I fix that?
Use the installer's rescue mode?

Cheers
-- t

On Friday 05 April 2019 08:13:14 [hidden email] wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 08:07:25AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I need to fix the disk partition labels on this 2T drive I've
> > installed stretch on.
> >
> > tune2fs on wheezy is too old, won't touch the stretch prepared
> > drive.
> >
> > I haven't found a tune2fs yet on stretch, but did after 10 minutes
> > of putzing, get a root session of gparted going, but of course the
> > device is mounted when booted to stretch, so the stretch gparted
> > can't cross a t or dot an i.
> >
> > So how can I fix that?
>
> Use the installer's rescue mode?
>
> Cheers
> -- t
I'll give that a shot once I'm 100% awake.  Thanks Tomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: stretch disk label problems

Cindy Sue Causey

> On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 08:07:25AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I need to fix the disk partition labels on this 2T drive I've installed
>> stretch on.
>>
>> tune2fs on wheezy is too old, won't touch the stretch prepared drive.
>>
>> I haven't found a tune2fs yet on stretch, but did after 10 minutes of
>> putzing, get a root session of gparted going, but of course the device
>> is mounted when booted to stretch, so the stretch gparted can't cross a
>> t or dot an i.
>>
>> So how can I fix that?
>
> Use the installer's rescue mode?

Some kind of rescue mode, including via a different mounted operating
system, was my thought, too. Reach in from the outside...

That thought came from having taken a quick poke at GParted. It
doesn't allow label changes on mounted partitions (either). The label
name option is visible on right click but is grayed out so that it
can't be clicked.

It makes sense. Everything's been put into gear using certain
descriptives that a user might type in to call something into some
form of action. There's probably a phenomenal number of [operations]
that would freak/black out/go dark if we were able to change
singularly definable partitions' labels while they're actively on
call. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *

Re: stretch disk label problems

Felix Miata-3
Gene Heskett composed on 2019-04-05 08:07 (UTC-0400):

> I need to fix the disk partition labels on this 2T drive I've installed
> stretch on.

> tune2fs on wheezy is too old, won't touch the stretch prepared drive.

> I haven't found a tune2fs yet on stretch, but did after 10 minutes of

# which tune2fs
/sbin/tune2fs
# dpkg -S /sbin/tune2fs
e2fsprogs: /sbin/tune2fs

> putzing, get a root session of gparted going, but of course the device
> is mounted when booted to stretch, so the stretch gparted can't cross a
> t or dot an i.

> So how can I fix that?
apt install e2fsprogs

It also provides e2label.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On Friday 05 April 2019 08:34:09 Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> > On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 08:07:25AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> I need to fix the disk partition labels on this 2T drive I've
> >> installed stretch on.
> >>
> >> tune2fs on wheezy is too old, won't touch the stretch prepared
> >> drive.
> >>
> >> I haven't found a tune2fs yet on stretch, but did after 10 minutes
> >> of putzing, get a root session of gparted going, but of course the
> >> device is mounted when booted to stretch, so the stretch gparted
> >> can't cross a t or dot an i.
> >>
> >> So how can I fix that?
> >
> > Use the installer's rescue mode?
>
> Some kind of rescue mode, including via a different mounted operating
> system, was my thought, too. Reach in from the outside...
>
> That thought came from having taken a quick poke at GParted. It
> doesn't allow label changes on mounted partitions (either). The label
> name option is visible on right click but is grayed out so that it
> can't be clicked.
>
> It makes sense. Everything's been put into gear using certain
> descriptives that a user might type in to call something into some
> form of action. There's probably a phenomenal number of [operations]
> that would freak/black out/go dark if we were able to change
> singularly definable partitions' labels while they're actively on
> call. :)
>
> Cindy :)

Somebody, Felix I think, pointed out that the utility package already
installed  provided an "e2label", and it worked perfectly on both
mounted partitions while booted to them.

So for the record, use e2label, it can apparently be used safely on a
live stretch-9.8.0  64 bit system.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: stretch disk label problems

Doug

On 04/05/2019 01:13 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 05 April 2019 08:34:09 Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

>>> Use the installer's rescue mode?
>> Some kind of rescue mode, including via a different mounted operating
>> system, was my thought, too. Reach in from the outside...
>>
>> That thought came from having taken a quick poke at GParted. It
>> doesn't allow label changes on mounted partitions (either). The label
>> name option is visible on right click but is grayed out so that it
>> can't be clicked.
>>
>> It makes sense. Everything's been put into gear using certain
>> descriptives that a user might type in to call something into some
>> form of action. There's probably a phenomenal number of [operations]
>> that would freak/black out/go dark if we were able to change
>> singularly definable partitions' labels while they're actively on
>> call. :)
>>
>> Cindy :)
> Somebody, Felix I think, pointed out that the utility package already
> installed  provided an "e2label", and it worked perfectly on both
> mounted partitions while booted to them.
>
> So for the record, use e2label, it can apparently be used safely on a
> live stretch-9.8.0  64 bit system.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
You can also run gparted from a CD. Then nothing is mounted
and you can do what you like.
--doug

On Friday 05 April 2019 08:58:42 Felix Miata wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2019-04-05 08:07 (UTC-0400):
> > I need to fix the disk partition labels on this 2T drive I've
> > installed stretch on.
> >
> > tune2fs on wheezy is too old, won't touch the stretch prepared
> > drive.
> >
> > I haven't found a tune2fs yet on stretch, but did after 10 minutes
> > of
>
> # which tune2fs
> /sbin/tune2fs
> # dpkg -S /sbin/tune2fs
> e2fsprogs: /sbin/tune2fs
>
> > putzing, get a root session of gparted going, but of course the
> > device is mounted when booted to stretch, so the stretch gparted
> > can't cross a t or dot an i.
> >
> > So how can I fix that?
>
> apt install e2fsprogs
>
> It also provides e2label.

And for the archive, that worked on the live system, thanks Felix.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)