[stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

solitone
Hi,

I'm on stretch, and use Plasma 5 as desktop environment. While I've managed to
set the right size for most desktop and application icons on my HiDPI
display,there are some few icons that appear still too small.

One example is Okular and the icons of the menu entries, as you can see in
screenshot [1]. Also the Save and Cancel icons in the Okular open document
popup are small [2],  as well as the Save and Cancel icons in the Save File
KDialog I get when saving something from Chrome or Gimp, for instance [3]. By
contrast, when saving a file from KWrite those two icons have a regular size
[4].

KDialog in itself has this problem. When I run it from the command line like
in the following example, I get the usual minuscule save and cancel icons I
dislike:

solitone@alan:~$ kdialog --getsavefilename /tmp

The reason for this seems to depend on the older Qt version that kdialog and
okular rely on:

solitone@alan:~$ kdialog --version
Qt: 4.8.7
KDE Development Platform: 4.14.26
KDialog: 1.0
solitone@alan:~$ okular --version
Qt: 4.8.7
KDE Development Platform: 4.14.26
Okular: 0.26.1

While kate and kmail, for example, that don't have the issue, are based on Qt
5.7.1.

Here are the packages involved:

solitone@alan:~$ apt-cache policy okular
okular:
  Installed: 4:16.08.2-1+b1
  Candidate: 4:16.08.2-1+b1

solitone@alan:~$ apt-cache policy kde-baseapps-bin
kde-baseapps-bin:
  Installed: 4:16.08.3-1
  Candidate: 4:16.08.3-1

HiDPI is not well supported in Qt version 4.8.x, so this explains the issue in
kdialog and okular.

So my question is: is there any chance that relase 16.12 of okular and kdialog
(based on kde-frameworks5)  are included in stretch? Currently we've got 16.08
(kde4 based), both in stretch an in sid.

Cheers,
  Davide

-----
[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvxlza9w2jbamn7/1.jpeg?dl=0
[2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s354x9busonolu/2.jpeg?dl=0
[3] https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xat2tri295za1r/3.jpeg?dl=0
[4] https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxqrvmnh3mn376d/4.jpeg?dl=0

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

inkbottle
On Monday, March 20, 2017 2:56:03 PM CET solitone wrote:
> So my question is: is there any chance that relase 16.12 of okular and
> kdialog (based on kde-frameworks5)  are included in stretch? Currently
> we've got 16.08 (kde4 based), both in stretch an in sid.

That is interesting, I haven't spotted that Okular was based on kde4. Probably
because it's so pivotal, that there is no question about installing it or not.

Also, what made you find out that the 16.12 version was kf5 based?
I can see it there:
<https://www.kde.org/announcements/fulllog_applications.php?
version=16.12.0#okular>
But I have to read hard.

Anyway, for the reason you gave, I think it would be a good thing if that was
included in stretch. It might give a better user experience.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

Luigi Toscano
On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:15:43 CET inkbottle wrote:

> On Monday, March 20, 2017 2:56:03 PM CET solitone wrote:
> > So my question is: is there any chance that relase 16.12 of okular and
> > kdialog (based on kde-frameworks5)  are included in stretch? Currently
> > we've got 16.08 (kde4 based), both in stretch an in sid.
>
> That is interesting, I haven't spotted that Okular was based on kde4.
> Probably because it's so pivotal, that there is no question about
> installing it or not.
>
> Also, what made you find out that the 16.12 version was kf5 based?
> I can see it there:
> <https://www.kde.org/announcements/fulllog_applications.php?
> version=16.12.0#okular>
> But I have to read hard.

It's an implementation detail and normal users should not care, save
unfortunately for this HiDPI issue.

>
> Anyway, for the reason you gave, I think it would be a good thing if that
> was included in stretch. It might give a better user experience.

I think it's a bit too late given the release cycle, but I'm not a packager
for those components.

Ciao
--
Luigi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

solitone
In reply to this post by inkbottle
On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:15:43 CET inkbottle wrote:
> what made you find out that the 16.12 version was kf5 based?
> I can see it there:
> <https://www.kde.org/announcements/fulllog_applications.php?
> version=16.12.0#okular>
> But I have to read hard.

Hi,

we had a discussion on the kde mailing list, and a gentoo user spotted this
out. Looking at package versions in gentoo it's pretty easy to figure out
whether something is based on kf5 or kf4.

Cheers,
  Davide


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

solitone
In reply to this post by Luigi Toscano
On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:23:06 CET Luigi Toscano wrote:
> > Anyway, for the reason you gave, I think it would be a good thing if that
> > was included in stretch. It might give a better user experience.
>
> I think it's a bit too late given the release cycle, but I'm not a packager
> for those components.

I fear that too. It would be nice thought that it'd be at least included in
sid, so that we could backport it to stretch.

As well as okular, kde-baseapps-bin (providing kdialog) would need an upgrade
to 16.12 to take advantage of kf5.

Ciao,
  Davide

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

Luigi Toscano
In reply to this post by solitone
On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:32:06 CET solitone wrote:

> On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:15:43 CET inkbottle wrote:
> > what made you find out that the 16.12 version was kf5 based?
> > I can see it there:
> > <https://www.kde.org/announcements/fulllog_applications.php?
> > version=16.12.0#okular>
> > But I have to read hard.
>
> Hi,
>
> we had a discussion on the kde mailing list, and a gentoo user spotted this
> out. Looking at package versions in gentoo it's pretty easy to figure out
> whether something is based on kf5 or kf4.

The package name in gentoo seems to have no specific hints; but anyway,
looking at the dependencies in Debian you can spot the version of Qt used
(and/or whether it's kdelibs4 vs Frameworks).

Also, it's in the second paragraph on the official announcement:
https://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-applications-16.12.0.php

Ciao
--
Luigi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

Luigi Toscano
In reply to this post by solitone
On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:36:11 CET solitone wrote:

> On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:23:06 CET Luigi Toscano wrote:
> > > Anyway, for the reason you gave, I think it would be a good thing if
> > > that
> > > was included in stretch. It might give a better user experience.
> >
> > I think it's a bit too late given the release cycle, but I'm not a
> > packager
> > for those components.
>
> I fear that too. It would be nice thought that it'd be at least included in
> sid, so that we could backport it to stretch.

I guess you mean experimental. That will happen for sure when sid is open
again for changes after the release; using sid now means some more
complications in case a fix needs to go directly into testing and then stable.

>
> As well as okular, kde-baseapps-bin (providing kdialog) would need an
> upgrade to 16.12 to take advantage of kf5.

That would be more complicated: kde-baseapps does not exist anymore, it has
been split into its components (konqueror, kfind, keditbookmarks, kdialog).

--
Luigi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

solitone
In reply to this post by Luigi Toscano
On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:39:53 CET Luigi Toscano wrote:
> The package name in gentoo seems to have no specific hints; but anyway,
> looking at the dependencies in Debian you can spot the version of Qt used
> (and/or whether it's kdelibs4 vs Frameworks).

This is what that user sees on gentoo:

> $equery list -op okular
> * Searching for okular ...
> [-P-] [  ] kde-apps/okular-16.08.3:4/16.08
> [-P-] [  ] kde-apps/okular-16.12.3:5
> [I-O] [  ] kde-apps/okular-9999:5

He tells me that:

okular-16.08.3:4 means that release 16.08 is in slot 4, so kde4.
okular-16.12.3:5 means that 16.12 is in slot 5, so kf5.

Slots are mechanisms specific to gentoo's package-management.

Cheers,
  Davide

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

solitone
In reply to this post by Luigi Toscano
On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:42:21 CET Luigi Toscano wrote:
> On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:36:11 CET solitone wrote:
> > I fear that too. It would be nice thought that it'd be at least included
> > in sid, so that we could backport it to stretch.
>
> I guess you mean experimental. That will happen for sure when sid is open
> again for changes after the release; using sid now means some more
> complications in case a fix needs to go directly into testing and then
> stable.

Well, to tell the truth I didn't. I still have very little knowledge on debian
release cycles.

> > As well as okular, kde-baseapps-bin (providing kdialog) would need an
> > upgrade to 16.12 to take advantage of kf5.
>
> That would be more complicated: kde-baseapps does not exist anymore, it has
> been split into its components (konqueror, kfind, keditbookmarks, kdialog).

Ouch  :-(


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

Luigi Toscano
On Monday, 20 March 2017 17:01:24 CET solitone wrote:

> On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:42:21 CET Luigi Toscano wrote:
> > On Monday, 20 March 2017 16:36:11 CET solitone wrote:
>
> > > As well as okular, kde-baseapps-bin (providing kdialog) would need an
> > > upgrade to 16.12 to take advantage of kf5.
> >
> > That would be more complicated: kde-baseapps does not exist anymore, it
> > has
> > been split into its components (konqueror, kfind, keditbookmarks,
> > kdialog).
>
> Ouch  :-(

I mean, this case will be handled (for the migration between Stretch and
Buster), just it's not trivial.

Ciao
--
Luigi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [stretch] kdialog and okular still based on kde4

M G Berberich-2
In reply to this post by solitone
Hello,

Am Montag, den 20. März schrieb solitone:

> we had a discussion on the kde mailing list, and a gentoo user spotted this
> out. Looking at package versions in gentoo it's pretty easy to figure out
> whether something is based on kf5 or kf4.

Yes. Because in stretch kf5-based applications, at least at the
moment, do not follow the font-hinting settings, while KDE4-based
programs do.

        MfG
        bmg

--
„Des is völlig wurscht, was heut beschlos- | M G Berberich
 sen wird: I bin sowieso dagegn!“          | [hidden email]
(SPD-Stadtrat Kurt Schindler; Regensburg)  |

Loading...