[syntaxis@gmail.com: Re: portrserve, gidreserve, was Re: Debian Weekly News - October 25th]

D. Joe Anderson

As per the recommendation below, I'm forwarding this.

----- Forwarded message from Andrew Saunders <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:23:08 +0100
From: Andrew Saunders <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: portrserve, gidreserve, was Re: Debian Weekly News - October 25th

On 10/25/05, D. Joe Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You know, a gidreserve or uidreserve would be useful too.
> ${EMPLOYER} maps the group "users" to gid 101 instead of what
> Debian uses, 100.  If one doesn't stop at a completely
> bare-bones base install to reserve gid 101 to allow the
> conversion from users=100 to users=101, it gets taken up by the
> next package that needs a low, but assigned-at-install-time,
> gid.

Very interesting, but why did you send this to -user? I recommend you
re-post this to debian-devel so that the devs actually become aware of
it.

--
Andrew Saunders

----- End forwarded message -----

D. Joe Anderson          http://www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
". . . we could end up with a situation where it's legal to own
hardware that automatically fires bullets really fast but
illegal to have software that automatically fires bits really
fast. -- Jenny Reiswig"

Re: [syntaxis@gmail.com: Re: portrserve, gidreserve, was Re: Debian Weekly News - October 25th]

Adam Heath
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, D. Joe Anderson wrote:

> As per the recommendation below, I'm forwarding this.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Andrew Saunders <[hidden email]> -----
>
> Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:23:08 +0100
> From: Andrew Saunders <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: portrserve, gidreserve, was Re: Debian Weekly News - October 25th
>
> On 10/25/05, D. Joe Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You know, a gidreserve or uidreserve would be useful too.
> > ${EMPLOYER} maps the group "users" to gid 101 instead of what
> > Debian uses, 100.  If one doesn't stop at a completely
> > bare-bones base install to reserve gid 101 to allow the
> > conversion from users=100 to users=101, it gets taken up by the
> > next package that needs a low, but assigned-at-install-time,
> > gid.
>
> Very interesting, but why did you send this to -user? I recommend you
> re-post this to debian-devel so that the devs actually become aware of
> it.

Edit /etc/adduser.conf.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:57:11PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, D. Joe Anderson wrote:

> > As per the recommendation below, I'm forwarding this.
> >
> > ----- Forwarded message from Andrew Saunders <[hidden email]> -----
> >
> > Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:23:08 +0100
> > From: Andrew Saunders <[hidden email]>
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: portrserve, gidreserve, was Re: Debian Weekly News - October 25th
> >
> > On 10/25/05, D. Joe Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > You know, a gidreserve or uidreserve would be useful too.

> > Very interesting, but why did you send this to -user? I recommend you
> > re-post this to debian-devel so that the devs actually become aware of
> > it.
>
> Edit /etc/adduser.conf.

So maybe -user was probably the right place to begin after all?

Anyway, thanks for the reply, Adam.  That does indeed seem like
what I need the next time this comes up.

--
D. Joe Anderson          http://www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
". . . we could end up with a situation where it's legal to own
hardware that automatically fires bullets really fast but
illegal to have software that automatically fires bits really
fast. -- Jenny Reiswig"

Re: [syntaxis@gmail.com: Re: portrserve, gidreserve, was Re: Debian Weekly News - October 25th]

Bernd Eckenfels
In article <[hidden email]> you wrote:
>> You know, a gidreserve or uidreserve would be useful too.
>> ${EMPLOYER} maps the group "users" to gid 101 instead of what
>> Debian uses, 100.  If one doesn't stop at a completely
>> bare-bones base install to reserve gid 101 to allow the
>> conversion from users=100 to users=101, it gets taken up by the
>> next package that needs a low, but assigned-at-install-time,
>> gid.

just change it after install? Not sure if we can and want to deal with all
possible configuations out there.

Gruss
Bernd

Re: [syntaxis@gmail.com: Re: portrserve, gidreserve, was Re: Debian Weekly News - October 25th]

Oliver Bausinger
On Wednesday 26 October 2005 03:57, Adam Heath wrote:

> Edit /etc/adduser.conf.

When you do a new installation, cron and exim (and possibly others) already
grabbed a gid before you can edit adduser.conf. Which leads to some annoying
manual tweaking if you need these gids otherwise.

Greetings
Bausi