telentd crashes

Riccardo Mottola
Hi,

I have updated all packages without issues.
When I try to login into my HURD box using telnet, I get on the console:

/hurd/crash: in.telnetd: 10.0.2.2(3498) crashed, signal {no: 11, code:2,
error:2}, exception {1, code:2, subcode:176128}, PCs {0x34db3,
0x10769ax}, killing task.

My inetd.conf is very simple, I just uncommented the standard line:
#:STANDARD: These are standard services.
telnet          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd

What is going wrong? Anyone has telnetd installed and can reproduce it?
It happens even if you lust "telnet localhost"

I tried executing /usr/sbin/in.telnetd manually and get this:

telnetd: getpeername: (ipc/mig) bad request message ID
.

I don't think this is sane and looks like a specific HURD issue. How is
it at your place? What happens if you jus run telnetd?

I have these installed packages:

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  telnet         0.17-41      hurd-i386    basic telnet client
un  telnet-client  <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  telnet-server  <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  telnetd        0.17-41      hurd-i386    basic telnet server

Thanks
Riccardo

Re: telentd crashes

Samuel Thibault-8
Hello,

Riccardo Mottola, on lun. 20 mars 2017 14:46:38 +0100, wrote:

> When I try to login into my HURD box using telnet, I get on the console:
>
> /hurd/crash: in.telnetd: 10.0.2.2(3498) crashed, signal {no: 11, code:2,
> error:2}, exception {1, code:2, subcode:176128}, PCs {0x34db3, 0x10769ax},
> killing task.
>
> What is going wrong? Anyone has telnetd installed and can reproduce it? It
> happens even if you lust "telnet localhost"
>
> I tried executing /usr/sbin/in.telnetd manually and get this:
>
> telnetd: getpeername: (ipc/mig) bad request message ID
> .
>
> I don't think this is sane and looks like a specific HURD issue. How is it
> at your place? What happens if you jus run telnetd?

Oh, I indeed get the issue, but only when using telnet localhost, i.e.
connecting from the box to itself, which I never do :) Connecting from
the outside never poses problem.

I guess it's just getpeername() which is not properly working inside
pfinet for the "lo" network interface case.

Samuel

Re: telentd crashes

Riccardo Mottola
Hi,

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Oh, I indeed get the issue, but only when using telnet localhost, i.e.
> connecting from the box to itself, which I never do:)  Connecting from
> the outside never poses problem.
>
> I guess it's just getpeername() which is not properly working inside
> pfinet for the "lo" network interface case.

well I suppose it is a bug anyway :) In my case it happens always, but I
am using a VirtualBox instance so I don't know how the actual connection
IP looks like to the HURD. It happens both when I connect Host->VM
instance as well as from any other LAN machine to the VM instance.

Riccardo