Quantcast

texlive and includegraphics{}

Richard Lyons
I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics called
with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex, and have
'\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.

Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
additional package?

TIA

richard

Re: texlive and includegraphics{}

Charlie-67
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Richard Lyons shared this with us all:

>--} I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics
> called --} with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex,
> and have --} '\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
>--} dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
>--} The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.
>--}
>--} Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
>--} of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
>--} additional package?
>--}
>--} TIA
>--}
>--} richard

I find using the full path to a .jpg or .gif file works well, .eps files have
always been a bit of a problem. But I use/d LyX in testing and etch.

Might be of help?
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
Meditation is not an escape from life . . . but preparation for really being

Re: texlive and includegraphics{}

Kushal Kumaran
On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Richard Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics called
>  with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex, and have
>  '\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
>  dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
>  The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.
>
>  Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
>  of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
>  additional package?

Are you using latex? or pdflatex?  pdflatex will not use EPS files.
Please show us the complete error message you are getting, including
the command you used to invoke it.

You can also try reproducing the problem with an absolutely minimal
.tex file, perhaps with nothing else but the \includegraphics in it.

PS: I assume you mean reverting to 'tetex' when you write reverting to 'latex'.

--
Kushal

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 06:02:01PM +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Richard Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics called
> >  with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex, and have
> >  '\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
> >  dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
> >  The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.
> >
> >  Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
> >  of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
> >  additional package?
> >

> Are you using latex? or pdflatex?  pdflatex will not use EPS files.
> Please show us the complete error message you are getting, including
> the command you used to invoke it.
>
> You can also try reproducing the problem with an absolutely minimal
> .tex file, perhaps with nothing else but the \includegraphics in it.
>
> PS: I assume you mean reverting to 'tetex' when you write reverting to 'latex'.

Well, yes, perhaps that is the old latex package in Debian.  These templates
have worked for years with no problem.  It is only now with a fresh
install (but retaining my old /home partition) that they suddenly fail.

I am not sure all the following detail helps much, but here it comes:

The commands to process the file are given from a script and are
essentially

latex template
dvips template

It is actually in a perl script and says

system ("latex $outfile && dvips $outf && ps2pdf $outf.ps $path$bod.pdf");

The section of the template which triggers it is  line 25 of this
letterheading:

\documentclass[english,a4paper]{letter}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{verbose,a4paper,tmargin=144pt,bmargin=72pt,lmargin=96pt,rmargin=60pt}
\usepackage{array}
\usepackage{graphicx}

\makeatletter

\usepackage{babel}
\makeatother

\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
\vspace*{-120pt}
%% letterhead with se1 logo %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%5
\begin{tabular}{b{135pt} b{43pt}>{\raggedright}b{80pt} b{130pt}}
%\begin{tabular}{b{140pt}|>{\raggedright}b{130pt}|b{180pt}}
\parbox[b]{134pt}{\begin{flushleft}

\textsf{Richard Lyons}
\end{flushleft}}&
\parbox[b]{43pt}
{\includegraphics{/home/richard/0/ico/14p5b-25mm}}
&
\parbox[b]{80pt}{\textsf{Coign House, }\\
\textsf{14 London Road}\\
\textsf{Southwark}\\
\textsf{London}\\
\textsf{SE1 - 6JZ}}&
\parbox[b]{130pt}{\textsf{\emph{email:}} \textsf{[hidden email] }\\
\textsf{\emph{telephone:}} \textsf{(020)79.28.65.01}\\
\textsf{\emph{facsimile:}} \textsf{(08707)62.68.14}}\\
\end{tabular}

It looks as though latex completes normally with

    Output written on marcello08c03-print.dvi (1 page, 1484 bytes).

And the error message is as I reported while dvips is running:

    dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/0/ico/14p5b-25mm.eps; continuing

The resulting ps file is perfect but lacking the images.

The file is readable:

$ ls -l /home/richard/0/ico/14p5b-25mm.eps
-rw-r--r-- 1 richard richard 137562 2006-10-05 11:37 /home/richard/0/ico/14p5b-25mm.eps

And the eps extension has been correctly assumed so I suppose it is
still the default as it was with latex.

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 10:52:17PM +1100, Charlie wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Richard Lyons shared this with us all:
> >--} I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics
> > called --} with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex,
> > and have --} '\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
> >--} dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
> >--} The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.
> >--}
> >--} Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
> >--} of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
> >--} additional package?
> >--}
> >--} TIA
> >--}
> >--} richard
>
> I find using the full path to a .jpg or .gif file works well, .eps files have
> always been a bit of a problem. But I use/d LyX in testing and etch.

I do give the full path.  It is an eps because that has always been the
default expected by latex (though you do have to omit the extension in
the command, so \includegraphics{/path/to/that} includes /path/to/that.eps),
and I have never before had any problem with this or other eps
inclusions.

richard

Re: texlive and includegraphics{}

Marcelo Chiapparini-3

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 12:21 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:

> I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics called
> with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex, and have
> '\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
> dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
> The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.
>
> Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
> of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
> additional package?
>
> TIA
>
> richard

I have exactly the same problem with dvips. Even giving the whole path for an eps file.
But because what I need is a pdf output of the latex file, I use dvipdfm (not dvipdf,
which uses dvips). No problem with it.

regards

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini
Marcelo Chiapparini

Re: texlive and includegraphics{}

H.S.
Richard Lyons wrote:

> I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics called
> with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex, and have
> '\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
> dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
> The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.
>
> Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
> of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
> additional package?
>
> TIA
>
> richard

This might not solve your problem, but I experience a similarly weird
problem a while ago on Debian Testing. It turned out the default output
of the latex command had changed (to something other than dvi perhaps?).
Anyhow, I cannot remember the details but I do remember that the
situation didn't make sense at the time -- something same as yours. I
modified the source tex file a bit (it was related to output format, PDF
vs dvi) and then it worked.

How about you give a minimal example that shows the problem and I can
try it out for your on my machine.

->HS

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 05:08:35PM -0500, H.S. wrote:

> Richard Lyons wrote:
> >I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics called
> >with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex, and have
> >'\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
> >dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
> >The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.
> >
> >Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
> >of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
> >additional package?
> >
> >TIA
> >
> >richard
> >

> This might not solve your problem, but I experience a similarly weird
> problem a while ago on Debian Testing. It turned out the default output
> of the latex command had changed (to something other than dvi perhaps?).
> Anyhow, I cannot remember the details but I do remember that the
> situation didn't make sense at the time -- something same as yours. I
> modified the source tex file a bit (it was related to output format, PDF
> vs dvi) and then it worked.
>
> How about you give a minimal example that shows the problem and I can
> try it out for your on my machine.

Thanks, that would be useful.

richard

Re: SOLVED: texlive and includegraphics{}

Richard Lyons
On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 06:18:03PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 12:21 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics called
> > with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex, and have
> > '\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
> > dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
> > The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.
> >
> > Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
> > of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
> > additional package?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > richard
> >

> I have exactly the same problem with dvips. Even giving the whole path for an eps file.
> But because what I need is a pdf output of the latex file, I use dvipdfm (not dvipdf,
> which uses dvips). No problem with it.

Ok, thanks, that solved it.

So it is actually a bug in dvips.

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 00:06 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 06:18:03PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 12:21 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > > I've just found texlive on a new etch install cannot find graphics called
> > > with includegraphics{}.  These are files that ran with Latex, and have
> > > '\usepackage{graphicx}'.  The only error message is
> > > dvips: Could not find figure file /home/richard/foo/bar.eps; continuing
> > > The graphics files are still there and permissions are ok.
> > >
> > > Is this a problem with the debian package, or an inherent characteristic
> > > of tex-live.  I.e. do I have to revert to latex or look for some
> > > additional package?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > richard
> > >

> > I have exactly the same problem with dvips. Even giving the whole path for an eps file.
> > But because what I need is a pdf output of the latex file, I use dvipdfm (not dvipdf,
> > which uses dvips). No problem with it.
>
> Ok, thanks, that solved it.
>
> So it is actually a bug in dvips.

and it propagates to any program which uses dvips. Geany for example.

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini