thinkpad buttons tpb

vero beach
I am trying to run tpb on a thinkpad T42 under debian testing/etch. My problem arises with this statement in the man pages: " Requires NVRAM device /dev/nvram. This must be enabled in your kernel. Although the device file must exist. The device file could be created with ’mknod /dev/nvram c 10 144".
It seems I must run "mknod /dev/nvram c 10 144" after each reboot from a terminal in order to make it run-which it does. If I close the terminal, it stops working.
Any suggestions?

-paul

Yahoo! Mail

Re: thinkpad buttons tpb

takisd
Hi

i have an R51 and use the same package. all i did was put the module
nvram in /etc/modules and it just works.

give it a shot.

Takis

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 14:50 -0800, vero beach wrote:

> I am trying to run tpb on a thinkpad T42 under debian testing/etch. My
> problem arises with this statement in the man pages: " Requires NVRAM
> device /dev/nvram. This must be enabled in your kernel. Although the
> device file must exist. The device file could be created with
> ’mknod /dev/nvram c 10 144".
> It seems I must run "mknod /dev/nvram c 10 144" after each reboot from
> a terminal in order to make it run-which it does. If I close the
> terminal, it stops working.
> Any suggestions?
>
> -paul

Re: Re: thinkpad buttons tpb

Paul Sullivan-2
Thank you Takis...

I compiled a vanilla 2.6.15.4 and added the character device /dev/nvram
to the kernel. I installed xosd, created the nvram group, and added
myself to the group.

It runs now as it should.

For some reason, it wouldn't run when I added nvram to /etc/modules. I
dont know why because it was listed as a module in my old kernel but was
not compiled into it.

 .''`.       Paul Sullivan
: :'  :      veropc.net
`. `'`       Debian GNU/Linux