to install libpng12.so.0

merlin verdecia
Hi,
I have debian 10 and i need to install libpng12.so.0, but i can not do
it. How i can?
I have installed the libpng16.so.0.
thanks

Re: to install libpng12.so.0

Greg Wooledge
On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 07:32:45AM -0500, merlin verdecia wrote:
> I have debian 10 and i need to install libpng12.so.0, but i can not do
> it. How i can?

Download it from a jessie (Debian 8) repository, or from
snapshot.debian.org.  The exact package name is libpng12-0 .

Install it by hand.

Live with whatever breaks.

Re: to install libpng12.so.0

Sven Hartge-5
merlin verdecia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have debian 10 and i need to install libpng12.so.0, but i can not do
> it. How i can?
> I have installed the libpng16.so.0.

What problem exactly are you trying to solve?

Are you trying to use a program compiled for an ancient PNG library
version?

Grüße,
Sven.

Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Re: to install libpng12.so.0

Étienne Mollier
Sven Hartge, on 2019-10-04:
> merlin verdecia, on 2019-10-04:
> > I have debian 10 and i need to install libpng12.so.0, but i can not do
> > it. How i can?
> > I have installed the libpng16.so.0.
>
> What problem exactly are you trying to solve?
>
> Are you trying to use a program compiled for an ancient PNG library
> version?

Hi,

that is most intriguing, because I had the same problem some
weeks ago, to permit a closed source video game to run on my
machine.

Best option here would first to check for updates, see if a new
version has been built against libpng16.  If not, then open a
bug to request a build against libpng16 to your software
provider, if of course this is possible.  :)
Otherwise, if you have to deal with an open source software,
then maybe you can rebuild it against libpng16 by yourself.

Now, if the software is closed source, then you will have to
get a libpng12 targeting your system.  One way is to build your
own, using the source code made available on the home page of
the project (you may have to browse a bit up into sourceforge to
actually get the archived version 1.2.58):

        $ apt-cache show libpng-dev | grep Homepage
        Homepage: http://libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html

Note on the website all the friendly colourful warnings about
vulnerabilities in the library; it will be important if your
software deals with untrusted PNG files.  Once you've got the
archive, extract it, have a look at the README file, which tells
you to look into INSTALL, which in turn tells you how to build
the library:
> On Unix/Linux and similar systems, you can simply type
>
>     ./configure [--prefix=/path]
>     make check
[...third command skipped on purpose...]

You will need to have packages "build-essential" and
"zlib1g-dev" already installed on your machine.  After running
"./configure && make check", and verified that the test passed,
the resulting library was freshly built and hidden inside
.libs/:

        $ find -name libpng12.so\*
        ./.libs/libpng12.so.0.58.0
        ./.libs/libpng12.so.0
        ./.libs/libpng12.so

Do *not* install this library in your system!

Only make it available for the application needing it: if your
closed source software has a dedicated directory for shared
libraries (something like lib/ or lib64/ for instance), then put
the library at that emplacement instead, with for instance:

        $ mv .libs/libpng12.so* /pathto/yoursoft/lib64/

But if no such directory is already available in your software,
then create and fill it with libpng12.so*, and in the end you
can resort to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point
to the location of that custom libpng12 of yours before running
your application:

        $ env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/pathto/yoursoft/lib64 /pathto/yoursoft/bin/executable

I hope this helps,
Kind Regards,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d

Re: to install libpng12.so.0

Sven Hartge-5
Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now, if the software is closed source, then you will have to
> get a libpng12 targeting your system.

In Debians case, the best way to do this, is to install the version from
Jessie. It should not conflict with any libraries in the current version
and resolve the problem.

Compiling libpng for yourself is not for the faint of heart and should
be avoided if possible.

S!

Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Re: to install libpng12.so.0

Sven Joachim
On 2019-10-05 11:20 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:

> Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Now, if the software is closed source, then you will have to
>> get a libpng12 targeting your system.
>
> In Debians case, the best way to do this, is to install the version from
> Jessie. It should not conflict with any libraries in the current version
> and resolve the problem.

It does, however, conflict with the usrmerge file system layout which
you get on a fresh install[1].  There is a newer version on
snapshot.debian.org[2] which should solve that, but there will of course
not be any security updates for it.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=922214
2. https://snapshot.debian.org/package/libpng/1.2.54-6/#libpng12-0_1.2.54-6

Re: to install libpng12.so.0

Sven Hartge-5
Sven Joachim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2019-10-05 11:20 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:
>> Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Now, if the software is closed source, then you will have to get a
>>> libpng12 targeting your system.

>> In Debians case, the best way to do this, is to install the version
>> from Jessie. It should not conflict with any libraries in the current
>> version and resolve the problem.

> It does, however, conflict with the usrmerge file system layout which
> you get on a fresh install[1].  There is a newer version on
> snapshot.debian.org[2] which should solve that, but there will of
> course not be any security updates for it.

> 1. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=922214
> 2. https://snapshot.debian.org/package/libpng/1.2.54-6/#libpng12-0_1.2.54-6

Urgh. Another reason to disable that usr-merge nonsense right away.

I event went as far as re-mastering my own Debian-10 install ISO to
disable the stuff before it contaminates any newly installed system.

Just too many problem with the way it was rushed through.

Grüße,
Sven².

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.