upgrading a kernel

Jon Miller-5
Just found out that I need to upgrade a kernel from 2.4 to 2.6.11 or greater due to the patch needed by sip_conntrack.  Can anyone point me in the right direction (doc) for upgrading a kernel and the steps I need to do.  I want to save the existing kernel so if something goes wrong I can fall back to a working version.  Is it advisable to do a backup image of the server to another hard disk? if so, should I use dd to do this?

Thanks

Jon L. Miller,  ASE, CNS, CLS, MCNE, CCNA
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
Resellers for: Novell Gold Partner, Cisco Partner, Peopletelecom, Westnet, Sophos Anti-Virus,

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

TEXT.htm (1K) Download Attachment

Re: upgrading a kernel

Matt Zagrabelny
On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 19:28 +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> Just found out that I need to upgrade a kernel from 2.4 to 2.6.11 or greater due to the patch needed by sip_conntrack.  Can anyone point me in the right direction (doc) for upgrading a kernel and the steps I need to do.  I want to save the existing kernel so if something goes wrong I can fall back to a working version.  Is it advisable to do a backup image of the server to another hard disk? if so, should I use dd to do this?

use aptitude.

search for 'kernel-image.*2.6' or 'linux-image.*2.6'.

the old kernel should still be accessible via grub or lilo.

-matt zagrabelny