using Webex from Stretch

Kleene, Steven (kleenesj)
My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.
I've tried Webex's test site and have concluded that getting the full
audio/video conference is not an option.  Mostly (so far) I don't need video
anyway.  For audio only, Webex does let me call in to a toll telephone number
and enter an event code.  That works.

To avoid the phone charge, I can use a cellphone that has unlimited free
minutes.  But I'd rather sit at my desktop.  It seems VoIP should let me
connect to the toll number for free.  There are many Linux VoIP programs, but
I haven't tried them yet.  Do such programs require everyone at both ends to
be running the same program (as is done with Skype)?

Can you recommend one or more VoIP programs that allow toll-free access?  I'm
running Stretch with a simple window manager (fvwm), not Gnome or KDE.

Thanks.

Re: using Webex from Stretch

Carl Fink-6
On 4/6/20 12:52 PM, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:

> My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
> should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
> with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.
> I've tried Webex's test site and have concluded that getting the full
> audio/video conference is not an option.  Mostly (so far) I don't need video
> anyway.  For audio only, Webex does let me call in to a toll telephone number
> and enter an event code.  That works.
>
> To avoid the phone charge, I can use a cellphone that has unlimited free
> minutes.  But I'd rather sit at my desktop.  It seems VoIP should let me
> connect to the toll number for free.  There are many Linux VoIP programs, but
> I haven't tried them yet.  Do such programs require everyone at both ends to
> be running the same program (as is done with Skype)?
>
> Can you recommend one or more VoIP programs that allow toll-free access?  I'm
> running Stretch with a simple window manager (fvwm), not Gnome or KDE.
I attended a Webex meeting earlier today using this Debian Stable box. It
worked perfectly. It's hard to properly host a meeting or record it from
Linux, but audio and video work great. Just use their so-called "web app"
(which is really just a web site and lots of JavaScript).

--
Carl Fink                           [hidden email]

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!

Re: using Webex from Stretch

Dan Ritter-4
Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:

> My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
> should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
> with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.
> I've tried Webex's test site and have concluded that getting the full
> audio/video conference is not an option.  Mostly (so far) I don't need video
> anyway.  For audio only, Webex does let me call in to a toll telephone number
> and enter an event code.  That works.
>
> To avoid the phone charge, I can use a cellphone that has unlimited free
> minutes.  But I'd rather sit at my desktop.  It seems VoIP should let me
> connect to the toll number for free.  There are many Linux VoIP programs, but
> I haven't tried them yet.  Do such programs require everyone at both ends to
> be running the same program (as is done with Skype)?
>
> Can you recommend one or more VoIP programs that allow toll-free access?  I'm
> running Stretch with a simple window manager (fvwm), not Gnome or KDE.

VOIP is an interconnection protocol. In order to connect a VOIP
device to the general telephone network, you need a gateway that
is willing to do the conversion. The gateway will pay telephone
tolls, so they are generally password-protected and charge you a
fee.

However, if WebEx has a public SIP interface, you can have any
SIP VOIP program -- there are lots of them -- talk directly to
that, without passing through a telephone gateway.

A little googling shows me this page:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/7yxpa9/Join-a-Webex-Meeting-from-a-Video-System

and this one:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/7ej8gq/Requirements-for-Business-to-Business-B2B-SIP-Calls-To-and-From-the-Cisco-Webex-Cloud

which might be helpful.

If you want to buy services from a telephone gateway service,
they are generally quite cheap -- US 1 cent per minute is a
reasonable price for outbound US calls in no particular volume.

-dsr-

Re: using Webex from Stretch

rhkramer
On Monday, April 06, 2020 12:52:41 PM Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:

> My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
> should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
> with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.
> I've tried Webex's test site and have concluded that getting the full
> audio/video conference is not an option.  Mostly (so far) I don't need
> video anyway.  For audio only, Webex does let me call in to a toll
> telephone number and enter an event code.  That works.
>
> To avoid the phone charge, I can use a cellphone that has unlimited free
> minutes.  But I'd rather sit at my desktop.  It seems VoIP should let me
> connect to the toll number for free.  There are many Linux VoIP programs,
> but I haven't tried them yet.  Do such programs require everyone at both
> ends to be running the same program (as is done with Skype)?
>
> Can you recommend one or more VoIP programs that allow toll-free access?
> I'm running Stretch with a simple window manager (fvwm), not Gnome or KDE.

Without thinking too hard about this, and without know for sure, I'd bet that
you can connect to that telephone to that toll number using Google Voice, for
free if it is in the US.

I use Google Voice with a hardware VOIP device (ObiHai), but that is not
necessary -- just have a means of audio output (and input if you want to
talke) on your computer, then set up a free Google Voice account.

Re: using Webex from Stretch

Russell L. Harris-2
On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 04:52:41PM +0000, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
>My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
>should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
>with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.
>To avoid the phone charge, I can use a cellphone that has unlimited free
>minutes.  But I'd rather sit at my desktop.

If all else fails, there are Bluetooth devices which act as a headset
to a cellular phone, providing analogue audio output (balanced and
unbalanced) which you can feed to the computer, either directly, or
through a USB interface box; see jkaudio.com.  Of course, the computer
can record the conference, Audacity being a dead-simple approach.

Needs such as this are a strong impetus to keep an W7Pro machine under
the desk or in a closet (then you can enjoy Webex).  Life is short;
get the job done, whatever it takes.

RLH

Re: using Webex from Stretch

Carl Fink-6
On 4/6/20 9:20 PM, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 04:52:41PM +0000, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj)
> wrote:
>> My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of
>> which I
>> should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the
>> conferences
>> with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian
>> Linux.
>> To avoid the phone charge, I can use a cellphone that has unlimited free
>> minutes.  But I'd rather sit at my desktop.
>
> If all else fails, there are Bluetooth devices which act as a headset
> to a cellular phone, providing analogue audio output (balanced and
> unbalanced) which you can feed to the computer, either directly, or
> through a USB interface box; see jkaudio.com.  Of course, the computer
> can record the conference, Audacity being a dead-simple approach.
Wait. Why can't Steven use a cellular phone while sitting at his desktop?

Although, again, Webex's web interface works great in Firefox on Stable.

On Monday, April 6, 2020 12:52 PM, I wrote:

> My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
> should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
> with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.

On Monday, April 6, 2020 6:27 PM, Carl Fink <[hidden email]> replied:

> I attended a Webex meeting earlier today using this Debian Stable box. It
> worked perfectly. It's hard to properly host a meeting or record it from
> Linux, but audio and video work great. Just use their so-called "web app"
> (which is really just a web site and lots of JavaScript).

I did what I think you were suggesting and got partway there.  What I did was
to get Webex's add-on cisco_webex_extension.xpi and add it to Firefox.  Today
I was able in a sense to join a Webex conference: I was connected and could
see the list of participants and some chat text.  But I got no audio, and
these messages:

Can't Connect to Audio
We're having a problem connecting to audio using your computer.  Choose
  another audio connection option or try again.

I was given two options.  If I chose "Use computer for audio", I got the
errors above again.  If I chose "Call in", it just showed a phone number.
The result was the same whether I allowed them to use my microphone or not.
I don't know if video would have worked, as they were blocking it due to
bandwidth limits.

I seem to have gotten closer.  Any ideas on how to get an audio connection?
There will be two more conferences I can try tomorrow.

> Wait. Why can't Steven use a cellular phone while sitting at his desktop?

I can and did for a test.  But I don't own (and don't want to own) a
cellphone, so I borrowed one.  Let's not start a long OT thread on why I
don't want a cellphone.

Thanks to everyone for the other suggestions as well, which I have not yet
tried.

On 4/6/20 9:20 PM, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 04:52:41PM +0000, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj)
> wrote:
>> My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of
>> which I
>> should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the
>> conferences
>> with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian
>> Linux.
>> To avoid the phone charge, I can use a cellphone that has unlimited free
>> minutes.  But I'd rather sit at my desktop.
>
> If all else fails, there are Bluetooth devices which act as a headset
> to a cellular phone, providing analogue audio output (balanced and
> unbalanced) which you can feed to the computer, either directly, or
> through a USB interface box; see jkaudio.com.  Of course, the computer
> can record the conference, Audacity being a dead-simple approach.
Wait. Why can't Steven use a cellular phone while sitting at his desktop?

Although, again, Webex's web interface works great in Firefox on Stable.

--
Carl Fink                           [hidden email]

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!

Re: using Webex from Stretch

deloptes-2
Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:

> I was given two options.  If I chose "Use computer for audio", I got the
> errors above again.  If I chose "Call in", it just showed a phone number.
> The result was the same whether I allowed them to use my microphone or
> not. I don't know if video would have worked, as they were blocking it due
> to bandwidth limits.

perhaps you have to enable the audio from firefox, because it is not enabled
like in chrome.

Re: using Webex from Stretch

Carl Fink-6
On 4/9/20 2:37 AM, deloptes wrote:
> Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
>
>> I was given two options.  If I chose "Use computer for audio", I got the
>> errors above again.  If I chose "Call in", it just showed a phone number.
>> The result was the same whether I allowed them to use my microphone or
>> not. I don't know if video would have worked, as they were blocking it due
>> to bandwidth limits.
> perhaps you have to enable the audio from firefox, because it is not enabled
> like in chrome.
In Webex you can also have the meeting call you, which is what
I do when I must use my phone. Generally I use computer audio,
and give Firefox permission to use it (and my camera if desired).

and on Thursday, April 9, 2020 7:09 AM, Carl Fink wrote:

> Generally I use computer audio, and give Firefox permission to use it (and my
> camera if desired).

This is interesting.  I see that my Firefox is set to "Block websites from
automatically playing sound".  I hadn't realized that, because if I play a
YouTube video or movie trailer in Firefox, I get the sound just fine anyway.
That's confusing, but I'll try changing that permission this afternoon and
see if it works.

Thanks again.

On 4/9/20 8:50 AM, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
> This is interesting.  I see that my Firefox is set to "Block websites from
> automatically playing sound".  I hadn't realized that, because if I play a
> YouTube video or movie trailer in Firefox, I get the sound just fine anyway.
> That's confusing, but I'll try changing that permission this afternoon and
> see if it works.

Note that I've only tried this with Firefox (non-ESR) 74 and 75.

--
Carl Fink                           [hidden email]

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!

Re: using Webex from Stretch

Curt
On 2020-04-09, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is interesting.  I see that my Firefox is set to "Block websites from
> automatically playing sound".  I hadn't realized that, because if I play a
> YouTube video or movie trailer in Firefox, I get the sound just fine anyway.
> That's confusing, but I'll try changing that permission this afternoon and
> see if it works.

I think voluntarily clicking on a video on Youtube or watching a Netflix
video and enjoying the benefit of the audio track without further ado is
not what is meant by blocking websites from *automatically* playing
sound, where you're dealing with the notion of non-intentionality on the
part of the user (in the case of, let's say, unwanted advertisements
and the like).

> Thanks again.

Re: using Webex from Stretch

rhkramer
On Thursday, April 09, 2020 07:09:35 AM Carl Fink wrote:
> On 4/9/20 2:37 AM, deloptes wrote:
> > Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
> >> I was given two options.  If I chose "Use computer for audio", I got the
> >> errors above again.  If I chose "Call in", it just showed a phone
> >> number.

I assume (I know ;-) that when you see that phone number, the intention is
that you call in using a telephone.

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 8:50 AM, I wrote:

> I see that my Firefox is set to "Block websites from automatically playing
> sound". ...  I'll try changing that permission this afternoon and
> see if it works.

Alas, Webex was still unable to make an audio connection.  Someday I'll be
allowed to go back to my workplace and test the Buster machine there.  (Or I
could upgrade at home.)

On Monday, April 6, 2020 7:37 PM, Dan Ritter replied:

> However, if WebEx has a public SIP interface, you can have any
> SIP VOIP program -- there are lots of them -- talk directly to
> that, without passing through a telephone gateway.
>
> A little googling shows me this page:
>
> https://help.webex.com/en-us/7yxpa9/Join-a-Webex-Meeting-from-a-Video-System
>
> and this one:
>
> https://help.webex.com/en-us/7ej8gq/Requirements-for-Business-to-Business-B2B-SIP-Calls-To-and-From-the-Cisco-Webex-Cloud
>
> which might be helpful.

I'll try that too.  Meanwhile I'll just have to use my wife's Windows laptop.
Thanks for all the helpful discussions.

On Thursday, April 09, 2020 07:09:35 AM Carl Fink wrote:
> On 4/9/20 2:37 AM, deloptes wrote:
> > Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
> >> I was given two options.  If I chose "Use computer for audio", I got the
> >> errors above again.  If I chose "Call in", it just showed a phone
> >> number.

I assume (I know ;-) that when you see that phone number, the intention is
that you call in using a telephone.

> In Webex you can also have the meeting call you, which is what
> I do when I must use my phone. Generally I use computer audio,
> and give Firefox permission to use it (and my camera if desired).

Re: using Webex from Stretch

Bob McGowan
Hi,

I recently had a sound problem with a web page and was instructed to do
the following to enable it for a specific web site.  Note, this is not
exactly intuitive.

1.  Go to the web site in your browser;
2.  In my Firefox, just to the left of the address bar are some icons,
click the "info" (lower case 'i' in a circle);
3.  The first item listed is "Connection", use the arrow (>) to the
right to open "Site Security";
4.  At the bottom there is a "More Information" link, click it;
5.  In the "Page Info" window that opens, click the "Permissions" tab;
6.  Scroll down to find lines for "Camera" and "Microphone";
7.  Unselect the "Use Default" and click the radio button for "Allow".

I'm running Firefox Quantum 68.7.0esr, but I believe the above should
work for any recent Firefox build.

Bob

On 2020-04-06, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
> should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
> with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.

There's a *browser extension* for Firefox. Have you installed it (there are
security implications)?

 https://help.webex.com/en-us/nt8cif7/Cisco-Webex-Web-App-Meeting-Functionality

  The Cisco Webex web app is available on Chrome, Internet Explorer
  version 10 and later, Firefox, and Safari 7 and later. For the best
  experience (including video support), we recommend using Chrome or
  Firefox.

> I've tried Webex's test site and have concluded that getting the full
> audio/video conference is not an option.  Mostly (so far) I don't need video

I've read (can't find the link now) that the test site doesn't test for audio,
but merely for the ability to enter a meeting.

> anyway.  For audio only, Webex does let me call in to a toll telephone number
> and enter an event code.  That works.

https://help.webex.com/en-us/9eed9t/Get-Started-Joining-a-Meeting-Event-or-Training-Session-with-the-Webex-Web-App

 *Connect to Audio and Start Your Video*
(Have you gone through these recommended steps and failed?)

Your post lacks significant detail.

Re: using Webex from Stretch

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 07:55:25AM -0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2020-04-06, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
> > should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
> > with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.
>
> There's a *browser extension* for Firefox. Have you installed it (there are
> security implications)?

Oh, c'mon. Cisco? Security implications? Say it ain't so! You must be
kidding [1] !!1!

Cheers

[1] https://prod.lwn.net/Articles/784758/
-- tomás

Re: using Webex from Stretch

Kleene, Steven (kleenesj)
On Monday, April 6, 2020 12:52 PM, I wrote:

> My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
> should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
> with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.

On Friday, April 10, 2020 3:55 AM, Curt <[hidden email]> replied:

Yes, thank you.  On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 5:26 PM, I wrote:

> What I did was to get Webex's add-on cisco_webex_extension.xpi and add it
> to Firefox.

I have confirmed that that's the same extension as I get at the site you have
suggested.

On Friday, April 10, 2020 3:55 AM, Curt <[hidden email]> replied:

> *Connect to Audio and Start Your Video*
> (Have you gone through these recommended steps and failed?)

Yesterday I did play more with the Webex settings and connected to a meeting
with good audio and video reception.  I did not have a chance to test a
microphone.  It seemed that I got no incoming sound unless I chose "Allow
Microphone".  Furthermore, whether I received sound depended on whether I
chose Mute or Unmute for my (non-existent) microphone.  I forget which
position allowed incoming sound.  I was surprised that it mattered.

I got what I needed yesterday, given that I didn't want to speak anyway.  I'm
grateful for all the help here.  Now I need to read up on how to initiate a
Webex conference (maybe from my wife's Windows box) so that I can do testing
whenever I want.  And I need to locate a working microphone.

Thanks again.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 07:49:32PM +0000, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
>And I need to locate a working microphone.

One of the best tools for such a need is the Shure X2U.  It is a
single-channel broadcast-grade XLR-to-USB (1.0) converter with
integrated stereo headphone amplifier (1/8-inch TRS jack).  It is
powered from the USB line and provides 48V phantom power, so is able
to handle any dynamic or condenser microphone.  It is plug-and-play,
needing no driver; it works on any computer.  The price is $100.  With
the X2U, a microphone, and a pair of earbuds, you are set for anything.

RLH

Re: using Webex from Stretch

Carl Fink-6
On 4/10/20 3:49 PM, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
> I got what I needed yesterday, given that I didn't want to speak anyway.  I'm
> grateful for all the help here.  Now I need to read up on how to initiate a
> Webex conference (maybe from my wife's Windows box) so that I can do testing
> whenever I want.  And I need to locate a working microphone.

There is at least some success reported running Webex within Wine:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=16455

I'm also sure it would work in a virtual Windows session, if you happen
to have
one around.

--
Carl Fink                           [hidden email]

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!

12