very poor performance of DVD using vesa or fglrx-driver

very poor performance of DVD using vesa or fglrx-driver

B Thomas-2

Hi,

On my Dell Insprion 9400 (1.83 Ghz dual core with 256Mb ATI Radeon
x1400) DVD playing is much slower (choppy infact) as compared to
my ancient 900 Mhz Athlong with RIVA TNT !.
This problem occurs wether I use the XFree86 Vesa driver or
the Proprietary ATI fglrx-driver. I configured the latter
with aticonfig --initial and even tried aticonfig --ovt Xvideo
after that. xine-check reports that my video card does not
support "yv12 overlays" and hence DVD playing will be very
CPU intensive .
Any suggestions ?

b thomas

Re: very poor performance of DVD using vesa or fglrx-driver

John Miller-4
Is the DVD drive running in DMA mode?  Almost certainly is, but worth a
quick check of dmesg.

--John

B Thomas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my Dell Insprion 9400 (1.83 Ghz dual core with 256Mb ATI Radeon
> x1400) DVD playing is much slower (choppy infact) as compared to
> my ancient 900 Mhz Athlong with RIVA TNT !.
> This problem occurs wether I use the XFree86 Vesa driver or
> the Proprietary ATI fglrx-driver. I configured the latter
> with aticonfig --initial and even tried aticonfig --ovt Xvideo
> after that. xine-check reports that my video card does not
> support "yv12 overlays" and hence DVD playing will be very
> CPU intensive .
> Any suggestions ?
>
> b thomas

Re: very poor performance of DVD using vesa or fglrx-driver

takisd
i know this was just posted up but...

it really sounds like the dvd isn't running in DMA mode. i had this
problem on my thinkpad at first, dvd would be choppy as you suggest,
music i played would also be. fixed it by enabling DMA on the drives -
in my case it was actually using the wrong kernel module for the drives.

check the output of dmesg (as suggested by another) or the output of
hdparm -I

hope this helps.

Takis

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 16:56 -0400, B Thomas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my Dell Insprion 9400 (1.83 Ghz dual core with 256Mb ATI Radeon
> x1400) DVD playing is much slower (choppy infact) as compared to
> my ancient 900 Mhz Athlong with RIVA TNT !.
> This problem occurs wether I use the XFree86 Vesa driver or
> the Proprietary ATI fglrx-driver. I configured the latter
> with aticonfig --initial and even tried aticonfig --ovt Xvideo
> after that. xine-check reports that my video card does not
> support "yv12 overlays" and hence DVD playing will be very
> CPU intensive .
> Any suggestions ?
>
> b thomas

Re: very poor performance of DVD using vesa or fglrx-driver

B Thomas-2

Hi,

DMA is enabled as far as I can see.

hdparm report "Capabilities" as :

DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5*udma6
     Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns

dmesg shows :
ata2: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xBFA8 irq 15
ata2: dev 0 ATAPI, max UDMA/33
ata2: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33

I think problem may be more to do with the yv12 overlays. But I
find it surprising that this should not be supported by the
fglrx-driver or the VESA driver. I am not sure how I can
confirm this or find a workaround.

regards
b thomas

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 07:00:14PM +1000, Takis Diakoumis wrote:

> i know this was just posted up but...
>
> it really sounds like the dvd isn't running in DMA mode. i had this
> problem on my thinkpad at first, dvd would be choppy as you suggest,
> music i played would also be. fixed it by enabling DMA on the drives -
> in my case it was actually using the wrong kernel module for the drives.
>
> check the output of dmesg (as suggested by another) or the output of
> hdparm -I
>
> hope this helps.
>
> Takis

Re: very poor performance of DVD using vesa or fglrx-driver

seth.edwards

I ran into this same thing when I was setting up my media center.  I
resolved it by changing the version of mplayer I was using to a more
optimized version (from 386 to 686) and am currently using mplayer-nogui
1.0-pre7 which has been working quite well.

HTH,

Seth