waaay offtopic

Gene Heskett-4
I've been forced to buy a smartfone, a galaxy A10e TBE by the medics.
I need to get it to make a video call before the doc will renew the
prescription for pro-air thats keeping her alive.  COPD, end stage.

Has anyone a link to a printable set of operating docs for this?  All I
can find are you-tube vids that go by faster than the guys making them
can talk, let along actually follow along.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: waaay offtopic

Joe Rowan
On Wed, 27 May 2020 14:48:53 -0400
Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been forced to buy a smartfone, a galaxy A10e TBE by the medics.
> I need to get it to make a video call before the doc will renew the
> prescription for pro-air thats keeping her alive.  COPD, end stage.
>
> Has anyone a link to a printable set of operating docs for this?  All
> I can find are you-tube vids that go by faster than the guys making
> them can talk, let along actually follow along.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SM-A105FZBUBTU/

Try here. If it's recent, it's probably Android 10, which is model QQ
in the downloads section. Beware, most Android help on the Net is for
earlier versions, rarely specified, and 10 is a bit different.

Joe

Re: waaay offtopic

Carl Fink-6

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/devicesupport/ATT-A102U-EN-UM-TN-SFG-070319.pdf

--
Carl Fink                           [hidden email]

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!

Re: waaay offtopic (and solved.)

Gene Heskett-4
On Wednesday 27 May 2020 14:57:11 Joe wrote:

> On Wed, 27 May 2020 14:48:53 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've been forced to buy a smartfone, a galaxy A10e TBE by the
> > medics. I need to get it to make a video call before the doc will
> > renew the prescription for pro-air thats keeping her alive.  COPD,
> > end stage.
> >
> > Has anyone a link to a printable set of operating docs for this?
> > All I can find are you-tube vids that go by faster than the guys
> > making them can talk, let along actually follow along.
>
> https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SM-A105FZBUBTU/
>
> Try here. If it's recent, it's probably Android 10, which is model QQ
> in the downloads section. Beware, most Android help on the Net is for
> earlier versions, rarely specified, and 10 is a bit different.

Thanks, a bunch Joe. I found my google-fu was out of spec, but I found
the real thing when I changed "tutorial" to "printable", and the first
hit was it.  Just now punched it and put it in a slim 3 ring, 150 some
pages.  And the doc is busy so I'll have a day or so to study it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: waaay offtopic

Charles Curley
On Wed, 27 May 2020 14:48:53 -0400
Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been forced to buy a smartfone, a galaxy A10e TBE by the medics.
> I need to get it to make a video call before the doc will renew the
> prescription for pro-air thats keeping her alive.  COPD, end stage.

I'm guessing the medics want a particular video call app. The medics or
the app vendors should have instructions on their respective web sites.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/

Re: waaay offtopic

Will Mengarini
* Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> [20-05/27=We 14:48 -0400]:
> I need [...] to make a video call before the doc will renew the
> prescription for pro-air thats keeping her alive.  COPD, end stage.

FYI, Medicare and Medicaid now (as of April 30) reimburse audio-only
visits at the same rate as video visits, to address exactly the
problem you're having (technology limiting medication access).

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/finance/cms-announces-pay-parity-audio-only-telephone-visits

Of course that's U.S-only.  I couldn't tell whether you're
in the U.S because right now `whois` is unresponsive.  Also,
other U.S insurance alternatives may not have the same options.

--
                 Will Mengarini  <[hidden email]>
KADAN: We're helping them to lead productive, happy lives.
    -- from ST:Voy 7x17 "Workforce, Part II"

Re: waaay offtopic

Nate Bargmann-4
Hi Gene.

I've had the same exact model since last September.  Overall it's a good
phone except my older Motorola could get data and service in places this
one won't.  Getting used to Android in 2013 had me befuddled for a bit
but a bit with a tutorial got me going.  My A10e is running Android 9,
a.k.a. Pie.  One thing I have noticed is that in some settings screens
at the bottom (might have to scroll by dragging your finger along the
screen) there are links to related options.

Your finger(s) is the mouse.  There are a number of gestures that will
soon become second nature.  A lot is down by tapping one finger on an
icon/item or dragging it around the screen.  Zooming out and in is
usually a thumb and forefinger squeeze together or apart, respectively.
On some things an additional function is performed by pressing and
holding on the item (if you have an Elecraft K3 you'll be familiar with
the concept).

Android doesn't use the left/right swipe gesture as much as Apple iOS,
but it does for some crucial things like changing from your home screen
to another screen by swiping on your wall paper.  Also, there is a quick
menu to various settings and features by dragging down from the top of
the screen.  Finally, one of the things I was used to on the older
versions of Android and what I had to enable was leaving the "Home bar"
on the screen all the time and since I was used to the position, setting
the back (left) arrow on that bar to the left end of it.  Much like
Debian there is much to explore and learn.

Typing on the screen is the very slowest thing I do as I want type a lot
like on a real keyboard.  I have not adapted to thumbs only for typing
after seven years and I doubt that I ever will.

At the time I considered a Google Pixel but the lack of being able to
insert a microSD card kept me away.  I don't know if their RF capability
is better than this Sammy or not.

- Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: waaay offtopic

Carl Fink-6
On 5/27/20 9:12 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Typing on the screen is the very slowest thing I do as I want type a lot
> like on a real keyboard.  I have not adapted to thumbs only for typing
> after seven years and I doubt that I ever will.

I hate the glass keyboard. A BT keyboard is cheap
and works well, and nobody carries them because
we just want to stick the phones in our pockets.

* On 2020 27 May 20:33 -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> On 5/27/20 9:12 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > Typing on the screen is the very slowest thing I do as I want type a lot
> > like on a real keyboard.  I have not adapted to thumbs only for typing
> > after seven years and I doubt that I ever will.
>
> I hate the glass keyboard. A BT keyboard is cheap
> and works well, and nobody carries them because
> we just want to stick the phones in our pockets.

I recall some of the early smart phone models having a slide-out
keyboard, the Blackberry being about the most popular, at least a lot of
techs where I used to work had them at the time.  I've always been leery
of putting my phone in my pocket as I figure it is more apt to get a
cracked screen that way.  I carry it in a case clipped on my belt.

So far the only cracked screen I've had was due to my old Motorola
dropping about 40 feet down the side of our upright silo hitting a
number of steps on the way down and then the last 15 to 20 feet onto
concrete unimpeded when I was putting an antenna up there.  My brother
had upgraded phones not long before and I was able to rob his old screen
and keep mine going a few more years.  He now has a cheap Motorola that
he got a couple of months after I got this Sammy and it has two cracks
in the screen.  Sigh...

On Wednesday 27 May 2020 21:12:44 Nate Bargmann wrote:

> Hi Gene.
>
> I've had the same exact model since last September.  Overall it's a
> good phone except my older Motorola could get data and service in
> places this one won't.  Getting used to Android in 2013 had me
> befuddled for a bit but a bit with a tutorial got me going.  My A10e
> is running Android 9, a.k.a. Pie.  One thing I have noticed is that in
> some settings screens at the bottom (might have to scroll by dragging
> your finger along the screen) there are links to related options.
>
> Your finger(s) is the mouse.  There are a number of gestures that will
> soon become second nature.  A lot is down by tapping one finger on an
> icon/item or dragging it around the screen.  Zooming out and in is
> usually a thumb and forefinger squeeze together or apart,
> respectively. On some things an additional function is performed by
> pressing and holding on the item (if you have an Elecraft K3 you'll be
> familiar with the concept).
>
> Android doesn't use the left/right swipe gesture as much as Apple iOS,
> but it does for some crucial things like changing from your home
> screen to another screen by swiping on your wall paper.  Also, there
> is a quick menu to various settings and features by dragging down from
> the top of the screen.  Finally, one of the things I was used to on
> the older versions of Android and what I had to enable was leaving the
> "Home bar" on the screen all the time and since I was used to the
> position, setting the back (left) arrow on that bar to the left end of
> it.  Much like Debian there is much to explore and learn.
>
> Typing on the screen is the very slowest thing I do as I want type a
> lot like on a real keyboard.  I have not adapted to thumbs only for
> typing after seven years and I doubt that I ever will.
>
> At the time I considered a Google Pixel but the lack of being able to
> insert a microSD card kept me away.  I don't know if their RF
> capability is better than this Sammy or not.
>
> - Nate

Its different, thats for sure, all I've ever used is a tracfone, hundred
$ a year model, nothing but a phone. Camera is worthless. My boys have
all got something like it, but so many buttons along the edge they can't
call up a pix they want to show me but when I touch it I somehow push a
button and it all goes away.  So they dig it out again and hold it for
me. And I was bound that whatever I bought, wasn't going to have all
those gotcha buttons on the edge.  That leaves the iphones on the
counter. First thing is apparently a bigger memory card. Getting out the
eject clip I see an empty hole for a u-sd, so I put a blank 64GB in it.
It found it on power-up and I made it the default pix storage location.
But while the cameras both look good I've not taken any rat eradicators
yet. I need to get something here wifi enabled so I don't run my sprint
bill up. Just getting the weather does that. I probably need to update
my dd-wrt router and enable the wifi in it, but I'll have to set it so
the neighbors are locked out, probably by catching this ones MAC and
disallowing anything else.  I did have it on so my boys could use it
when they were here, but found the neighbors were too, to the tune of
about 100GB a month. So I turned that off, and have done the same with
the pi4 running my big lathe, the neighbors were using that too.  Now
I've an excuse to re-enable the radio. And you folks get to see an old
fart, one whose kids intro as the smartest man in any building he's in,
drug kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.  I am sure some
hilarity will ensue.

Thanks Nate.  Stay safe and well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: waaay offtopic

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Mi, 27 mai 20, 20:50:12, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> I recall some of the early smart phone models having a slide-out
> keyboard, the Blackberry being about the most popular, at least a lot of
> techs where I used to work had them at the time.  I've always been leery
> of putting my phone in my pocket as I figure it is more apt to get a
> cracked screen that way.  I carry it in a case clipped on my belt.

I've been carrying by mobile phones in the back pocket of my jeans since
they became slim enough to fit (i.e. smartphones) and never cracked a
screen due to this.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: waaay offtopic

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Mi, 27 mai 20, 20:12:44, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Hi Gene.
>
> I've had the same exact model since last September.  Overall it's a good
> phone except my older Motorola could get data and service in places this
> one won't.  Getting used to Android in 2013 had me befuddled for a bit
> but a bit with a tutorial got me going.  My A10e is running Android 9,
> a.k.a. Pie.  One thing I have noticed is that in some settings screens
> at the bottom (might have to scroll by dragging your finger along the
> screen) there are links to related options.

One of the first things I enable on Android phones is:

Accessibility -> Interaction and dexterity -> Answering and ending calls
and enable:
    * Press Home button to answer
    (or whatever other button you still have)
    * Press Power key to end

I still miss the keyboard on my Nokia E6 though I did eventually get
used to typing on touch screens. I get better accuracy with Gboard than
with the default Samsung keyboard, though I'm trying to avoid it for
privacy reasons.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: waaay offtopic

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Jo, 28 mai 20, 00:04:01, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I need to get something here wifi enabled so I don't run my sprint
> bill up. Just getting the weather does that. I probably need to update
> my dd-wrt router and enable the wifi in it, but I'll have to set it so
> the neighbors are locked out, probably by catching this ones MAC and
> disallowing anything else.

MACs can be cloned (though I doubt your neighbours would do this).

You will get better protection by enabling  WPA2-PSK (pre-shared key),
with encryption type AES and setting a reasonably long and complicated
password / phrase.

Unless you're neighbours are some super-hackers there's no real need to
go wild here, something like https://xkcd.com/936/ will be more than
enough (do note the words are *random*). There's xkcdpass in Debian and
several online password generators inspired by XKCD 936.

You might want to write the password on a piece of paper to show it to
guests that you want to grant access.

For additional protection DD-WRT can probably enable a dedicated "guest"
WiFi. This is useful only if you want to isolate guests from the rest of
your network while still allowing them to use your internet access.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: waaay offtopic

Gene Heskett-4
On Thursday 28 May 2020 01:30:14 Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Jo, 28 mai 20, 00:04:01, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I need to get something here wifi enabled so I don't run my sprint
> > bill up. Just getting the weather does that. I probably need to
> > update my dd-wrt router and enable the wifi in it, but I'll have to
> > set it so the neighbors are locked out, probably by catching this
> > ones MAC and disallowing anything else.
>
> MACs can be cloned (though I doubt your neighbours would do this).

I know, I am doing it so I have a fixed inet4 address regardless of which
router is in service.

> You will get better protection by enabling  WPA2-PSK (pre-shared key),
> with encryption type AES and setting a reasonably long and complicated
> password / phrase.

> Unless you're neighbours are some super-hackers

They are dumb, but the offender apparently has a cracker app on his
phone. Changing the simple pw only locks him out for 3 or so minutes.
He's a cast iron PITA in person too.

> there's no real need
> to go wild here, something like https://xkcd.com/936/ will be more
> than enough (do note the words are *random*). There's xkcdpass in
> Debian and several online password generators inspired by XKCD 936.

I've seen that, great stuff.

> You might want to write the password on a piece of paper to show it to
> guests that you want to grant access.
>
> For additional protection DD-WRT can probably enable a dedicated
> "guest" WiFi. This is useful only if you want to isolate guests from
> the rest of your network while still allowing them to use your
> internet access.

Thats how it works, I can't "see" their traffic until I  get the monthly
bill.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: waaay offtopic

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Jo, 28 mai 20, 01:43:06, Gene Heskett wrote:

> They are dumb, but the offender apparently has a cracker app on his
> phone. Changing the simple pw only locks him out for 3 or so minutes.
> He's a cast iron PITA in person too.

Your router is not configured properly.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: waaay offtopic

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 08:30:14AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 28 mai 20, 00:04:01, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I need to get something here wifi enabled so I don't run my sprint
> > bill up. Just getting the weather does that. I probably need to update
> > my dd-wrt router and enable the wifi in it, but I'll have to set it so
> > the neighbors are locked out, probably by catching this ones MAC and
> > disallowing anything else.
>
> MACs can be cloned (though I doubt your neighbours would do this).

Don't rely on MACs for device identification. These days it's quite
probable that a mobile device picks a random MAC, for (well-founded,
alas) privacy reasons [1].

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address#Randomization
-- tomás

Re: waaay offtopic

Joe Rowan
On Thu, 28 May 2020 10:01:27 +0200
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 08:30:14AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Jo, 28 mai 20, 00:04:01, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > I need to get something here wifi enabled so I don't run my
> > > sprint bill up. Just getting the weather does that. I probably
> > > need to update my dd-wrt router and enable the wifi in it, but
> > > I'll have to set it so the neighbors are locked out, probably by
> > > catching this ones MAC and disallowing anything else.
> >
> > MACs can be cloned (though I doubt your neighbours would do this).
>
> Don't rely on MACs for device identification. These days it's quite
> probable that a mobile device picks a random MAC, for (well-founded,
> alas) privacy reasons [1].
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address#Randomization
> -- tomás

If one of your machines is always on, and your router can do it (most
can), you could try RADIUS...

Joe

Re: waaay offtopic (and solved.)

David-2
On Thu, 28 May 2020 at 06:33, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > All I can find are you-tube vids that go by faster than the guys
> > > making them can talk, let along actually follow along.

Hi, in case you are not aware, at the bottom of the youtube video
display area (find the play button and then look to the right hand
side) if you click on the gear-shaped icon for "Settings" then it
presents a menu that includes the ability to reduce the playback speed.

Re: waaay offtopic

rhkramer
On Thursday, May 28, 2020 12:58:54 AM Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> I've been carrying by mobile phones in the back pocket of my jeans since
> they became slim enough to fit (i.e. smartphones) and never cracked a
> screen due to this.

I'm guerssing that you do so without a case or any kind of screen protector,
and probably with the front against your body?

Re: waaay offtopic

Gene Heskett-4
On Thursday 28 May 2020 04:13:24 Joe wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 2020 10:01:27 +0200
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > MACs can be cloned (though I doubt your neighbours would do this).
> >
> > Don't rely on MACs for device identification. These days it's quite
> > probable that a mobile device picks a random MAC, for (well-founded,
> > alas) privacy reasons [1].
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address#Randomization
> > -- tomás
>
> If one of your machines is always on, and your router can do it (most
> can), you could try RADIUS...

They are up 24/7. tell me more plz.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)