webmail and email from command line

loredana
I find increasily difficult and error prone to read/send email via a
browser and would like to either use emacs (preferred, now that it
talks) or the command line.

'Though I managed to send mail to my gmail account by allowing less
secure applications, this is likely not to be a viable solution (it
seems that google is going to forbit less secure application access
starting November first of this year and it is already a pain to use
it now).

Two factor authentication may well be the only solution for desktop
users in a couple of months time.

Your Institution willl have somebody solving this issue for you, but
at home normal users who prefer to avoid using a browser for email are
on their own.

Once the authentication issue is solved, then any client (not only a
browser) should be able to read/send mail, making life for me and
possibly other visually impaired people easier.

Here is what I plan to do:

1) use mbsync to fetch mail locally

2) use any tool to read/edit mail locally (I will use emacs and mu4e,
bt at this point any editor and mail agent able to  work with mail
locally should be just fine)

3) configure exim to deal with gmail authentication to read and send
mail via smtp gmail server.

Is this a reasonable approach? Any comment or suggestion? Any other
way of dealing with email locally, without a browser and to use the
network only for reading/sending mail with an acceptable
authorization?

BTW, swacks is in debian and it is a very nice tool to test smtp
connections from the command line:

swaks --tls --auth --to <username>@gmail.com --server smtp.gmail.com

Be careful with spoken passwords ..
Loredana

Re: webmail and email from command line

john doe-6
On 8/13/2019 8:09 PM, loredana wrote:

> I find increasily difficult and error prone to read/send email via a
> browser and would like to either use emacs (preferred, now that it
> talks) or the command line.
>
> 'Though I managed to send mail to my gmail account by allowing less
> secure applications, this is likely not to be a viable solution (it
> seems that google is going to forbit less secure application access
> starting November first of this year and it is already a pain to use
> it now).
>
> Two factor authentication may well be the only solution for desktop
> users in a couple of months time.
>
> Your Institution willl have somebody solving this issue for you, but
> at home normal users who prefer to avoid using a browser for email are
> on their own.
>
> Once the authentication issue is solved, then any client (not only a
> browser) should be able to read/send mail, making life for me and
> possibly other visually impaired people easier.
>
> Here is what I plan to do:
>
> 1) use mbsync to fetch mail locally
>
> 2) use any tool to read/edit mail locally (I will use emacs and mu4e,
> bt at this point any editor and mail agent able to  work with mail
> locally should be just fine)
>
> 3) configure exim to deal with gmail authentication to read and send
> mail via smtp gmail server.
>
> Is this a reasonable approach? Any comment or suggestion? Any other
> way of dealing with email locally, without a browser and to use the
> network only for reading/sending mail with an acceptable
> authorization?
>
> BTW, swacks is in debian and it is a very nice tool to test smtp
> connections from the command line:
>
> swaks --tls --auth --to <username>@gmail.com --server smtp.gmail.com
>
> Be careful with spoken passwords ..

You might have better exposure on debian-user as it is not a
"accessibility" issue per say.

John Doe

Re: webmail and email from command line

Didier Spaier
Hello Loredana,

I'd suggest to use mutt that now has built-in IMAP and SMTP support, so
there's no need for an external application to fetch and send mail, and
of course it allows SSL/TLS (the latter recommended).

Additionally, Storm Dragon proposes a script called fleacollar that can
configure mutt for you, including a gmail account:
https://gitlab.com/stormdragon2976/fleacollar

It is not packaged for Debian, but that's just a bash script that
can be put in /usr/bin and made executable.

There is also a relatively new console mail client called aerc:
https://aerc-mail.org/
It is really good, has an integrated help and a wizard supporting basic
IMAP and SMTP configuration but I don't find a Debian package for it and
seems to be not yet fully accessible.

Best regards,

Didier

On 13/08/2019 20:09, loredana wrote:

> I find increasily difficult and error prone to read/send email via a
> browser and would like to either use emacs (preferred, now that it
> talks) or the command line.
>
> 'Though I managed to send mail to my gmail account by allowing less
> secure applications, this is likely not to be a viable solution (it
> seems that google is going to forbit less secure application access
> starting November first of this year and it is already a pain to use
> it now).
>
> Two factor authentication may well be the only solution for desktop
> users in a couple of months time.
>
> Your Institution willl have somebody solving this issue for you, but
> at home normal users who prefer to avoid using a browser for email are
> on their own.
>
> Once the authentication issue is solved, then any client (not only a
> browser) should be able to read/send mail, making life for me and
> possibly other visually impaired people easier.
>
> Here is what I plan to do:
>
> 1) use mbsync to fetch mail locally
>
> 2) use any tool to read/edit mail locally (I will use emacs and mu4e,
> bt at this point any editor and mail agent able to  work with mail
> locally should be just fine)
>
> 3) configure exim to deal with gmail authentication to read and send
> mail via smtp gmail server.
>
> Is this a reasonable approach? Any comment or suggestion? Any other
> way of dealing with email locally, without a browser and to use the
> network only for reading/sending mail with an acceptable
> authorization?
>
> BTW, swacks is in debian and it is a very nice tool to test smtp
> connections from the command line:
>
> swaks --tls --auth --to <username>@gmail.com --server smtp.gmail.com
>
> Be careful with spoken passwords ..
> Loredana

Re: webmail and email from command line

Raphaël POITEVIN
I chose to use GNUS in Emacs. It's quite difficult to manipulate for the
first time, and the documentation is in a mess. But it's usable.

Regards,

Raphaël

loredana <[hidden email]> writes:

> I find increasily difficult and error prone to read/send email via a
> browser and would like to either use emacs (preferred, now that it
> talks) or the command line.
>
> 'Though I managed to send mail to my gmail account by allowing less
> secure applications, this is likely not to be a viable solution (it
> seems that google is going to forbit less secure application access
> starting November first of this year and it is already a pain to use
> it now).
>
> Two factor authentication may well be the only solution for desktop
> users in a couple of months time.
>
> Your Institution willl have somebody solving this issue for you, but
> at home normal users who prefer to avoid using a browser for email are
> on their own.
>
> Once the authentication issue is solved, then any client (not only a
> browser) should be able to read/send mail, making life for me and
> possibly other visually impaired people easier.
>
> Here is what I plan to do:
>
> 1) use mbsync to fetch mail locally
>
> 2) use any tool to read/edit mail locally (I will use emacs and mu4e,
> bt at this point any editor and mail agent able to  work with mail
> locally should be just fine)
>
> 3) configure exim to deal with gmail authentication to read and send
> mail via smtp gmail server.
>
> Is this a reasonable approach? Any comment or suggestion? Any other
> way of dealing with email locally, without a browser and to use the
> network only for reading/sending mail with an acceptable
> authorization?
>
> BTW, swacks is in debian and it is a very nice tool to test smtp
> connections from the command line:
>
> swaks --tls --auth --to <username>@gmail.com --server smtp.gmail.com
>
> Be careful with spoken passwords ..
> Loredana

Re: webmail and email from command line

Sebastien Hinderer
Hi Loredana, all,

I deal with mails in full text-mode for years.
I don't use GMail so I can't say anything on that, but for the rest I am
a happy mutt user. I use emacs just to compose the messages, but to deal
with them, including reading them through IMAP or POP I use mutt. The
only disadvantage I see to this is that I have no filters but I had in
the past. At that time I used fetchmail to read the e-mails from the
server and then let them go through procmail, the old way. There are
probably better alternatives to fetchmail todays, it has a bad
reputation. Regarding reading and indexig e-mails mutt is no longer the
state of the art either, I think. You may have a look to the notmuch and
alot tools.

Hope this helps,

Shérab.