what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

Long Wind-2
trade war between china and usa is escalating

an early debian distro has flavor for non-us users, because of us export restriction? how does usa enforce the law on Internet?

it's not easy for me to use mail and i may not respond timely
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

Marek Mosiewicz
I think it means good for open source software. You can not forbid
using open software and people will understand that it is somewhat
dangerous to depend on corporations for such important issue as
software.


Best regards,
    Marek Mosiewicz
    http://marekmosiewicz.pl


W dniu pon, 03.06.2019 o godzinie 11∶04 +0000, użytkownik Long Wind
napisał:
> trade war between china and usa is escalating
>
> an early debian distro has flavor for non-us users, because of us
> export restriction? how does usa enforce the law on Internet?
>
> it's not easy for me to use mail and i may not respond timely

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
In reply to this post by Long Wind-2
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 11:04:57AM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
>    trade war between china and usa is escalating
>    an early debian distro has flavor for non-us users, because of us export
>    restriction? how does usa enforce the law on Internet?
>    it's not easy for me to use mail and i may not respond timely

The presence of the non-US archive section is a historical relic from a
period when the US considered certain forms of cryptography to be
"munitions" and so hosting implementations of said cryptographic
algorithms in the US such that users in foreign countries could download
them was considered a violation of several US laws.  The solution was to
host those cryptographic implementations outside the US.

The current trade war is more about tarrifs (and maybe protection of
intellectual property), thought since I've not been following the
details I am not certain.

In any event, the two matters are really quite separate and unrelated.

As to "How does [the] USA enforce the law on [the] Internet?"  Well, it
could be argued that they can't and they don't.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

Nicholas Geovanis-2
We can see that the US government is more interested in surveillance and propaganda on the internet than anything else.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019, 6:30 AM Roberto C. Sánchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 11:04:57AM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
>    trade war between china and usa is escalating
>    an early debian distro has flavor for non-us users, because of us export
>    restriction? how does usa enforce the law on Internet?
>    it's not easy for me to use mail and i may not respond timely

The presence of the non-US archive section is a historical relic from a
period when the US considered certain forms of cryptography to be
"munitions" and so hosting implementations of said cryptographic
algorithms in the US such that users in foreign countries could download
them was considered a violation of several US laws.  The solution was to
host those cryptographic implementations outside the US.

The current trade war is more about tarrifs (and maybe protection of
intellectual property), thought since I've not been following the
details I am not certain.

In any event, the two matters are really quite separate and unrelated.

As to "How does [the] USA enforce the law on [the] Internet?"  Well, it
could be argued that they can't and they don't.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 06:43:35AM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
>    We can see that the US government is more interested in surveillance and
>    propaganda on the internet than anything else.

Which makes them like every other government in that regard?  Meet the
new boss, same as the old boss.

--
Roberto C. Sánchez

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

Nicholas Geovanis-2
On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 6:52 AM Roberto C. Sánchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 06:43:35AM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
>    We can see that the US government is more interested in surveillance and
>    propaganda on the internet than anything else.

Which makes them like every other government in that regard?  Meet the
new boss, same as the old boss.

I wasn't comparing regimes. Only comparing the current version of this regime
with the previous versions. Detailed knowledge of their own populations has
become more important to them over time. I know why ;-)
 
Roberto C. Sánchez

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

John Hasler-3
In reply to this post by Long Wind-2
Long Wind writes:
> trade war between china and usa is escalating
> an early debian distro has flavor for non-us users, because of us
> export restriction?

Non-us was not a crippled version of Debian for non-us users.  It was a
Debian repository located outside the USA for all Debian packages
containing strong encryption (and for a while packages that infringed
USA software patents).  It was used by USA residents and non-USA
residents alike.  Strong encryption has always been legal here but the
government claimed for a while that it was illegal to export Free
Software implementing it without a license (this claim was eventually
shot down by the courts). It was simpler for Debian to put all strong
encryption outside the USA than to figure out how to limit distribution
to the USA.

> how does usa enforce the law on Internet?

It doesn't.  It enforces USA law inside the USA, and its powers over
the Internet here are weak.  
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

Jude DaShiell-3
In reply to this post by Long Wind-2
Very likely zero impact.

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019, Long Wind wrote:

> Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 07:04:57
> From: Long Wind <[hidden email]>
> To: Debian-user List Debian <[hidden email]>
> Subject: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?
> Resent-Date: Mon,  3 Jun 2019 11:05:58 +0000 (UTC)
> Resent-From: [hidden email]
>
> trade war between china and usa is escalating
> an early debian distro has flavor for non-us users, because of us export restriction? how does usa enforce the law on Internet?
> it's not easy for me to use mail and i may not respond timely

--

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

Long Wind-2
In reply to this post by John Hasler-3
Thank John Hasler!

On Monday, June 3, 2019, 10:38:27 PM GMT+8, John Hasler <[hidden email]> wrote:


Long Wind writes:
> trade war between china and usa is escalating
> an early debian distro has flavor for non-us users, because of us
> export restriction?

Non-us was not a crippled version of Debian for non-us users.  It was a
Debian repository located outside the USA for all Debian packages
containing strong encryption (and for a while packages that infringed
USA software patents).  It was used by USA residents and non-USA
residents alike.  Strong encryption has always been legal here but the
government claimed for a while that it was illegal to export Free
Software implementing it without a license (this claim was eventually
shot down by the courts). It was simpler for Debian to put all strong
encryption outside the USA than to figure out how to limit distribution
to the USA.


> how does usa enforce the law on Internet?


It doesn't.  It enforces USA law inside the USA, and its powers over
the Internet here are weak. 
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA