where all these codenames came from Page not found

where all these codenames came from Page not found

"세벌"
Hello.
I got a message "Page not found"
when I click "where all these codenames came from"
at https://www.debian.org/releases/index.en.html
Fix it please.

세벌사랑 http://sebul.sarang.net

Re: where all these codenames came from Page not found

Kevin Thomas
Hello,

Thanks for bringing this up. I made a Merge Request to fix this link. If someone could take a look at it and merge it if it looks good, that would be appreciated: https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/webwml/-/merge_requests/439
Thank you,
Kevin Thomas
Hello. I got a message "Page not found" when I click "where all these codenames came from" at https://www.debian.org/releases/index.en.html Fix it please. 세벌사랑 http://sebul.sarang.net
Sent from Mailspring

Re: where all these codenames came from Page not found

Paul Wise via nm
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 8:45 AM Kevin Thomas wrote:

> Thanks for bringing this up. I made a Merge Request to fix this link. If someone could take a look at it and merge it if it looks good, that would be appreciated:

Please switch the links back to being based on the $(HOME) variable,
since that change is unrelated to the fix you want to make. I suggest
that you also fix any other debian-faq links in webwml at the same
time and make sure you also use smart_change.pl to update all the
translations.

PS: it seems that Mailspring is inserting tracking links into your
emails, you might want to turn that off or use another email provider.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: where all these codenames came from Page not found

Kevin Thomas
Paul,

Thanks for the input. Sebul changed the links back to being based on the $(HOME) variable and I fixed the other debian-faq links as well. As for using  smart_change.pl to update all the translations, I'm getting some strange behavior where when I run this on the seven changed files, only some of the translation files are getting their translation-check commit updated correctly, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

Thank you,
Kevin Thomas
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 8:45 AM Kevin Thomas wrote: > Thanks for bringing this up. I made a Merge Request to fix this link. If someone could take a look at it and merge it if it looks good, that would be appreciated: Please switch the links back to being based on the $(HOME) variable, since that change is unrelated to the fix you want to make. I suggest that you also fix any other debian-faq links in webwml at the same time and make sure you also use smart_change.pl to update all the translations. PS: it seems that Mailspring is inserting tracking links into your emails, you might want to turn that off or use another email provider. -- bye, pabs https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: where all these codenames came from Page not found

Carsten Schoenert
Hello Kevin,

Am 20.04.20 um 20:29 schrieb Kevin Thomas:
> Paul,
>
> Thanks for the input. Sebul changed the links back to being based on the
> $(HOME) variable and I fixed the other debian-faq links as well. As for
> using  smart_change.pl to update all the translations, I'm getting some
> strange behavior where when I run this on the seven changed files, only
> some of the translation files are getting their translation-check commit
> updated correctly, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

without any logs from your problems we can't say anything helpful to fix
your issues.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert

Re: where all these codenames came from Page not found

Kevin Thomas
Hello Carsten,

Apologies, I have attached the logs from running the command on the seven changed files. The lines that say "...wml already claims to be a translation for ..." seem to be the files where the translation-check commit was updated correctly. The lines that say "Now checking ...wml" with no output after seem to be the files that do not get their translation-check commit updated.

Thank you,
Kevin Thomas
On Apr 20 2020, at 11:47 am, Carsten Schoenert <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Kevin, Am 20.04.20 um 20:29 schrieb Kevin Thomas: > Paul, > > Thanks for the input. Sebul changed the links back to being based on the > $(HOME) variable and I fixed the other debian-faq links as well. As for > using  smart_change.pl to update all the translations, I'm getting some > strange behavior where when I run this on the seven changed files, only > some of the translation files are getting their translation-check commit > updated correctly, so I'm not sure what to do about that. without any logs from your problems we can't say anything helpful to fix your issues. -- Regards Carsten Schoenert

=?utf-8?Q?smart=5Fchange.pl.logs?= (20K) Download Attachment

On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 11:29 -0700, Kevin Thomas wrote:

> As for using  smart_change.pl to update all the translations, I'm
> getting some strange behavior where when I run this on the seven
> changed files, only some of the translation files are getting their
> translation-check commit updated correctly, so I'm not sure what to
> do about that.

Usually this means that the translation-check header is pointing at an
outdated commit so the translation is deemed to be out of date and thus
updating the translation with your changes will not bring it up to date
with earlier changes from before your commit, so the translation-check
header should not be updated. Once a translator reads through the
earlier changes and your changes they will update the translation and
also update the translation-check header.

The smart_change.pl script doesn't work very well when there are chains
of translations starting from languages other than English (especially
since we didn't decide to use file hashes in the headers, unfortunately
instead going with commit hashes), but I don't think this is the
situation for your patch.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 10:04:50AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> Usually this means that the translation-check header is pointing at an
> outdated commit so the translation is deemed to be out of date and thus
> updating the translation with your changes will not bring it up to date
> with earlier changes from before your commit, so the translation-check
> header should not be updated. Once a translator reads through the
> earlier changes and your changes they will update the translation and
> also update the translation-check header.
>
> The smart_change.pl script doesn't work very well when there are chains
> of translations starting from languages other than English (especially
> since we didn't decide to use file hashes in the headers, unfortunately
> instead going with commit hashes), but I don't think this is the
> situation for your patch.
Ah okay, thanks for the information! In that case I will leave the merge
request as-is.

Thank you,
Kevin Thomas

On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 20:18 -0700, Kevin Thomas wrote:

> Ah okay, thanks for the information! In that case I will leave the merge
> request as-is.

Another issue is that (because of the aforementioned hash decision)
every time you rebase your merge request, you will need to re-run
smart_change.pl and update the translation commit, because the first
commit hash will have changed when you did the rebase of the commit.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: where all these codenames came from Page not found

Holger Wansing-4
Hi Kevin,

Kevin Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 10:04:50AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Usually this means that the translation-check header is pointing at an
> > outdated commit so the translation is deemed to be out of date and thus
> > updating the translation with your changes will not bring it up to date
> > with earlier changes from before your commit, so the translation-check
> > header should not be updated. Once a translator reads through the
> > earlier changes and your changes they will update the translation and
> > also update the translation-check header.

The situation explained above was however not the problem here.
Looking at the logs shows, that you only executed
        './smart_change.pl <all-the-filenames>'
which would only modify the commit hashes, and not more.

That, however, is not, what is meant when pabs said "make sure you also use
smart_change.pl to update all the translations".
Obviously the links to the FAQ need to be changed in the translations as
well, and when that's done, one can update the hash values as well.

I realize that the use of the smart_change.pl script is not intuitive and
well documented, though.

> > The smart_change.pl script doesn't work very well when there are chains
> > of translations starting from languages other than English (especially
> > since we didn't decide to use file hashes in the headers, unfortunately
> > instead going with commit hashes), but I don't think this is the
> > situation for your patch.
>
> Ah okay, thanks for the information! In that case I will leave the merge
> request as-is.

Done, including translations.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <[hidden email]>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076