which packages still depend on python2.3?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

which packages still depend on python2.3?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
Hi,
I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Ron Johnson
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 10/21/06 05:13, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
> I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
> that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
> python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?

On my Sid system:

# wajig purge python2.3
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of python2.3:
 python-profiler depends on python2.3.
 gnumeric-plugins-extra depends on python2.3 (>= 2.3).
 bittorrent depends on python2.3.
dpkg: error processing python2.3 (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing
Errors were encountered while processing:
 python2.3


- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?
For example, it is "common sense" to white-power racists that
whites are superior to blacks, and that those with brown skins
are mud people.
However, that "common sense" is obviously wrong.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFFOfXCS9HxQb37XmcRAv9AAKCHioS2q7C04p9Wyj6VZ3l0nCM2cgCeL4X2
uSyJG7ipYNqi36HKyM/DP6A=
=BsDG
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
On 10/21/06, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On 10/21/06 05:13, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
> > that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
> > python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?
>
> On my Sid system:
>
> # wajig purge python2.3
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of python2.3:
>  python-profiler depends on python2.3.
>  gnumeric-plugins-extra depends on python2.3 (>= 2.3).
>  bittorrent depends on python2.3.
> dpkg: error processing python2.3 (--purge):
>  dependency problems - not removing
> Errors were encountered while processing:
>  python2.3

Unless you haven't updated in a while, the only one (of the three)
strictly requiring python2.3 is bittorrent. That's according to the
packages.debian.org pages.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
On 10/21/06, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/21/06, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> >
> > On 10/21/06 05:13, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
> > > that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
> > > python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?
> >
> > On my Sid system:
> >
> > # wajig purge python2.3
> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of python2.3:
> >  python-profiler depends on python2.3.
> >  gnumeric-plugins-extra depends on python2.3 (>= 2.3).
> >  bittorrent depends on python2.3.
> > dpkg: error processing python2.3 (--purge):
> >  dependency problems - not removing
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  python2.3
>
> Unless you haven't updated in a while, the only one (of the three)
> strictly requiring python2.3 is bittorrent. That's according to the
> packages.debian.org pages.

Actually the latest bittorrent now accepts python2.4 as a dependency;
packages.debian.org updates slowly since the changelog is dated Oct
18th...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Ron Johnson
In reply to this post by Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 10/21/06 06:02, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

> On 10/21/06, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> On 10/21/06 05:13, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
>> > that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
>> > python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?
>>
>> On my Sid system:
>>
>> # wajig purge python2.3
>> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of python2.3:
>>  python-profiler depends on python2.3.
>>  gnumeric-plugins-extra depends on python2.3 (>= 2.3).
>>  bittorrent depends on python2.3.
>> dpkg: error processing python2.3 (--purge):
>>  dependency problems - not removing
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>  python2.3
>
> Unless you haven't updated in a while, the only one (of the three)
> strictly requiring python2.3 is bittorrent. That's according to the
> packages.debian.org pages.

Actually, the opposite.  bittorrent "Depends: *python* (>= 2.3)".  I
had updated before I sent the email, but not upgraded bittorrent.

# wajig update
Ign http://oss.oracle.com unstable Release.gpg
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org ../project/experimental Release.gpg
[189B]
Hit http://oss.oracle.com unstable Release

[snip]
Hit ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid/main Packages
Fetched 5562B in 4s (1179B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Merging available information
Replacing available packages info, using /var/cache/apt/available.
Information about 19821 package(s) was updated.
This is the same as the previous count with 0 new packages.
There are 0 new upgrades

# wajig purge python2.3
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of python2.3:
 python-profiler depends on python2.3.
 gnumeric-plugins-extra depends on python2.3 (>= 2.3).
dpkg: error processing python2.3 (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing
Errors were encountered while processing:
 python2.3


# wajig policy python-profiler
python-profiler:
  Installed: 2.4.4-1
  Candidate: 2.4.4-1
  Version table:
 *** 2.4.4-1 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/non-free Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status


# wajig policy gnumeric-plugins-extra
gnumeric-plugins-extra:
  Installed: 1.6.3-3
  Candidate: 1.6.3-3
  Version table:
     1.7.2-1 0
          1 http://ftp.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/main
Packages
 *** 1.6.3-3 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status



- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?
For example, it is "common sense" to white-power racists that
whites are superior to blacks, and that those with brown skins
are mud people.
However, that "common sense" is obviously wrong.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFFOgySS9HxQb37XmcRAqdJAKC1PA1Zm19qk3ji2QFP1i9z0SKU4QCdFIqR
Pv/Bu/f45bxiJLJijau6BDw=
=hCt9
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

madcoder (Bugzilla)
In reply to this post by Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 12:13:42PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
> I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
> that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
> python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?

  grep-dctrl -sPackage -FDepends python2.3

  is your friend.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [hidden email]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
In reply to this post by Ron Johnson
On 10/21/06, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Unless you haven't updated in a while, the only one (of the three)
> > strictly requiring python2.3 is bittorrent. That's according to the
> > packages.debian.org pages.
>
> Actually, the opposite.  bittorrent "Depends: *python* (>= 2.3)".  I
> had updated before I sent the email, but not upgraded bittorrent.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you imply that you now don't need
python2.3 anymore (after upgrading bittorrent)?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
In reply to this post by madcoder (Bugzilla)
On 10/21/06, Pierre Habouzit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 12:13:42PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
> > that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
> > python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?
>
>   grep-dctrl -sPackage -FDepends python2.3

thanks for this (didn't work, but it pointed me to the right direction).

Using "grep-available -F Depends python2.3", I found python2.3-cairo
with this Depends line:

libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libcairo2 (>= 1.0.2-2), python (>= 2.3), python
(<< 3), python2.3

How come it depends on python2.3 and then again on python (which
depends on python2.4)?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
On 10/21/06, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/21/06, Pierre Habouzit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 12:13:42PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
> > > that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
> > > python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?
> >
> >   grep-dctrl -sPackage -FDepends python2.3
>
> thanks for this (didn't work, but it pointed me to the right direction).
>
> Using "grep-available -F Depends python2.3", I found python2.3-cairo
> with this Depends line:
>
> libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libcairo2 (>= 1.0.2-2), python (>= 2.3), python
> (<< 3), python2.3
>
> How come it depends on python2.3 and then again on python (which
> depends on python2.4)?

I just found that it has been removed from the archive. Sorry for the noise.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Ron Johnson
In reply to this post by Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 10/21/06 07:27, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

> On 10/21/06, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Unless you haven't updated in a while, the only one (of the three)
>> > strictly requiring python2.3 is bittorrent. That's according to the
>> > packages.debian.org pages.
>>
>> Actually, the opposite.  bittorrent "Depends: *python* (>= 2.3)".  I
>> had updated before I sent the email, but not upgraded bittorrent.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Do you imply that you now don't need
> python2.3 anymore (after upgrading bittorrent)?

bittorrent does not need python2.3 anymore.  My other examples do,
though.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?
For example, it is "common sense" to white-power racists that
whites are superior to blacks, and that those with brown skins
are mud people.
However, that "common sense" is obviously wrong.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFFOijuS9HxQb37XmcRAkxSAJ43QNj6QZ0DT1lX3sThJkFwoJAFAgCgvZM+
b01qXrWWnC9faT1Vf28hpn8=
=Ok6m
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Florian Ludwig
In reply to this post by Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

> On 10/21/06, Pierre Habouzit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 12:13:42PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
>> > that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
>> > python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?
>>
>>   grep-dctrl -sPackage -FDepends python2.3
>
> thanks for this (didn't work, but it pointed me to the right direction).
>
try apt-cache rdepends python2.3
perhaps this works.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: which packages still depend on python2.3?

Gudjon I. Gudjonsson
Hi
   If I try to remove python2.3 on my system I get the following dependency
problems in dselect
**_ Std python   python2.3
 **- Opt python   python2.3-dev
 **- Opt python   python-all
 **- Opt electron xcircuit
 **- Opt python   python-wxgtk2.4
 **- Opt python   python-all-dev
 **- Opt devel    gnue-designer
So I will just leave it on my system. I don't know why gnue-designer depends
on wxgtk 2.4 but not 2.6.

Hope it helps
Gudjon

Þann Miðvikudagur 25. október 2006 09:01 skrifaði Florian Ludwig:

> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > On 10/21/06, Pierre Habouzit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 12:13:42PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> >> > Hi,
> >> > I managed to remove python2.3 without problems on my system, meaning
> >> > that everyone uses python2.4. Are there packages which depend only on
> >> > python2.3, and if not, why is it still kept around?
> >>
> >>   grep-dctrl -sPackage -FDepends python2.3
> >
> > thanks for this (didn't work, but it pointed me to the right direction).
>
> try apt-cache rdepends python2.3
> perhaps this works.