which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

Long Wind-2
i have a USB wireless card, it doesn't seem stable, sometimes it's slow
i even suspect changing USB connector can affect network speed

which program can show connection quality?
i use twm, those that depend on big software (KDE/GNOME) are not preferred

Re: which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

T BkRl
Try wavemon! I used to use it on a laptop without graphics installed.... it requires ncurses but who doesn’t love ncurses?

i have a USB wireless card, it doesn't seem stable, sometimes it's slow
i even suspect changing USB connector can affect network speed

which program can show connection quality?
i use twm, those that depend on big software (KDE/GNOME) are not preferred

Re: which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

Long Wind-2
Thanks!

i've just installed wavemon, it shows too many details, i've not been able to figure out all their meaning

On Thursday, August 9, 2018, 8:37:48 AM GMT+8, T BkRl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Try wavemon! I used to use it on a laptop without graphics installed.... it requires ncurses but who doesn’t love ncurses?

i have a USB wireless card, it doesn't seem stable, sometimes it's slow
i even suspect changing USB connector can affect network speed

which program can show connection quality?
i use twm, those that depend on big software (KDE/GNOME) are not preferred

Re: which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

recoverym4n
        Hi.

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 12:29:31AM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
> i have a USB wireless card, it doesn't seem stable, sometimes it's slow
> i even suspect changing USB connector can affect network speed
>
> which program can show connection quality?

These two should work with any network interface (watch for error and
dropped frames):

netstat -ni 1

watch -n1 "ip -s a l"

Wireless specifics (signal strength, noise ratio, etc) are better viewed
by airodump-ng from aircrack-ng package, although stock iw or iwconfig
should do too.

Also, consider wrapping a sheet of tin foil around USB WiFi dongle,
transforming stock omni-directional antenna to uni-directional.

Reco

Re: which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

Richard Hector
On 09/08/18 19:00, Reco wrote:
> Also, consider wrapping a sheet of tin foil around USB WiFi dongle,
> transforming stock omni-directional antenna to uni-directional.

Uni-directional or no-directional?

I'd have thought you want to be fairly specific and precise with your
'wrapping' to get a benefit ...

Richard

Re: which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

Long Wind-2
Thanks!

my adapter is Asus WL-167g USB WLAN Adapter
i don't understand why change directional from omni to uni

the adapter is problematic, sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't though link quality is good

maybe buying a new one is more cost-efficient than debugging the old one

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:44:42AM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 09/08/18 19:00, Reco wrote:
> > Also, consider wrapping a sheet of tin foil around USB WiFi dongle,
> > transforming stock omni-directional antenna to uni-directional.
>
> Uni-directional or no-directional?
>
> I'd have thought you want to be fairly specific and precise with your
> 'wrapping' to get a benefit ...

Google it. [2] uses a strainer, not a tinfoil, but is pretty close to
what I meant.

[2] http://homestead-and-survival.com/diy-uni-directional-usb-wifi-range-extender/

Reco

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:16:38AM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
>  Thanks!
>
> my adapter is Asus WL-167g USB WLAN Adapter
> i don't understand why change directional from omni to uni

Because if it's the noise/signal ratio that's the trouble this should
improve it.

> the adapter is problematic, sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't though link quality is good

Or, it's your neighbour's APs which give you signal interference. Or a
nearby police car (radar).

Reco

Re: which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

Cindy-Sue Causey
On 8/10/18, Reco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:16:38AM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
>>  Thanks!
>>
>> my adapter is Asus WL-167g USB WLAN Adapter
>> i don't understand why change directional from omni to uni
>
> Because if it's the noise/signal ratio that's the trouble this should
> improve it.
>
>> the adapter is problematic, sometimes it works fine, other times it
>> doesn't though link quality is good
>
> Or, it's your neighbour's APs which give you signal interference. Or a
> nearby police car (radar).

This surely falls under the signal noise category, but it might not be
something people ever think about. It's power lines. My yard is
wrapped in utility lines k/t how it sits in the Universe. Both MATS
(local transport, Mountain Area Transportation System) and local
Pickens County Sheriff's Office during 9-1-1 emergency calls are NOT
able to call out *at all* when they're sitting in my driveway.

Seems natural to a-sume those two community resources have
communications systems powerful enough to worm through anything, but
apparently... nope. At least not when it comes to sitting underneath a
tight nest of power lines. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *

Re: which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

Long Wind-2
it has nothing to do with police or other AP

i have a PCI wireless card, it works fine, i needn't monitor its performance with wavemon

the USB adapter works in the same environment as the PCI card, i really don't know cause of its problem

On Friday, August 10, 2018, 1:57:33 PM GMT+8, Reco <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi.

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:16:38AM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
>  Thanks!
>
> my adapter is Asus WL-167g USB WLAN Adapter
> i don't understand why change directional from omni to uni

Because if it's the noise/signal ratio that's the trouble this should
improve it.

> the adapter is problematic, sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't though link quality is good

Or, it's your neighbour's APs which give you signal interference. Or a
nearby police car (radar).

Reco

Re: which program/command can show wireless connection quality?

deloptes-2
Long Wind wrote:

>  it has nothing to do with police or other AP
>
> i have a PCI wireless card, it works fine, i needn't monitor its
> performance with wavemon
>
> the USB adapter works in the same environment as the PCI card, i really
> don't know cause of its problem

if you run them in parallel (simultaneously) you will have the problem

On 10/08/18 17:54, Reco wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:44:42AM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
>> On 09/08/18 19:00, Reco wrote:
>>> Also, consider wrapping a sheet of tin foil around USB WiFi dongle,
>>> transforming stock omni-directional antenna to uni-directional.
>>
>> Uni-directional or no-directional?
>>
>> I'd have thought you want to be fairly specific and precise with your
>> 'wrapping' to get a benefit ...
>
> Google it. [2] uses a strainer, not a tinfoil, but is pretty close to
> what I meant.
>
> [2] http://homestead-and-survival.com/diy-uni-directional-usb-wifi-range-extender/
Sure. I just meant that naively 'wrapping it in foil' is unlikely to get
the desired result.

Richard