why won't ff look at this url?

Gene Heskett-4
Greetings folks;

https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-arrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics

All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

Tixy-2
On Sat, 2019-08-24 at 10:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-arrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics
>
> All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.

Looks like abcnews4.com does everything with javascript. You got that
disabled or blocked with a plugin?

Tixy

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

Peter Ehlert-2

On 8/24/19 7:21 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings folks;
>
> https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-arrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics
>
> All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.

local problem

Thunderbird opens it in Firefox as expected

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

John Hasler-3
Gene Heskett wrote:
> https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-arrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics
>
> All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.

It wants to load script from about a dozen sources (fairly typical).
You need only permit a few of them.
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA

On Saturday 24 August 2019 10:33:20 Tixy wrote:

> On Sat, 2019-08-24 at 10:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-a
> >rrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics
> >
> > All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.
>
> Looks like abcnews4.com does everything with javascript. You got that
> disabled or blocked with a plugin?

IDK, how do I check?

Thanks.

On Sat, 2019-08-24 at 12:22 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 24 August 2019 10:33:20 Tixy wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2019-08-24 at 10:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-a
> > >rrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics
> > >
> > > All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.
> >
> > Looks like abcnews4.com does everything with javascript. You got
> that
> > disabled or blocked with a plugin?
>
> IDK, how do I check?

Well, you'd know if you'd installed a specific plugin like NoScript, so
I'll assume you didn't. Also, seems unlikely that you'd have
accidentally disabled javascript globally, just googled for how you do
that...

In the Firefox address/search bar, enter the address about:config and
then in the search bar on that config page search for
javascript.enabled. On mine is says that config is 'default boolean
true' which I assume means that the value is the default (i.e. not
been changed) and it's a boolean (true/false) value set to true.

--
Tixy

On Saturday 24 August 2019 12:43:39 Tixy wrote:

> On Sat, 2019-08-24 at 12:22 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 August 2019 10:33:20 Tixy wrote:
> > > On Sat, 2019-08-24 at 10:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-a

> > > Looks like abcnews4.com does everything with javascript. You got
> >
> > that
> >
> > > disabled or blocked with a plugin?
> >
> > IDK, how do I check?
>
> Well, you'd know if you'd installed a specific plugin like NoScript,

Stuff like noscript is installed but all that is disabled

> so I'll assume you didn't. Also, seems unlikely that you'd have
> accidentally disabled javascript globally, just googled for how you do
> that...

No, about:config, javascript it's all "modified" and "true" as of half an
hour ago.  And I've just went thru the list and restored all selections
to default. No change.

> In the Firefox address/search bar, enter the address about:config and
> then in the search bar on that config page search for
> javascript.enabled. On mine is says that config is 'default boolean
> true' which I assume means that the value is the default (i.e. not
> been changed) and it's a boolean (true/false) value set to true.

Addons, plugins are all disabled. No change.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

Mark Allums-4
On 8/24/19 9:21 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings folks;
>
> https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-arrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics
>
> All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.
>
> Thanks for any help.

ad-blocker blocker?  (site works for me)
Mark

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

Mark Allums-4

> Addons, plugins are all disabled. No change.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Try clearing cache.  Maybe reboot your router.  Running a pi-hole?
Restart it.

Mark

On Saturday 24 August 2019 14:11:26 Mark Allums wrote:

> On 8/24/19 9:21 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings folks;
> >
> > https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-a
> >rrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics
> >
> > All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> ad-blocker blocker?  (site works for me)
> Mark

All disabled.

On Saturday 24 August 2019 14:16:31 Mark Allums wrote:

> > Addons, plugins are all disabled. No change.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Try clearing cache.

Just did. No change.

> Maybe reboot your router.

Twice this morning for other reasons udev related. udev haws a hate/hate
relationship with heyu.

> Running a pi-hole?

Nope.

> Restart it.
>
> Mark

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 02:44:47PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

[... some page not showing ...]

I just would add this page to my (enormous) blacklist. One hash't to
put up with all the abominations the web tries to throw at us these
days :-)

But what you can do is:

- enter the offending page's URL in the URL box and press ENTER.
  The offending whiteness shows (who knows, perhaps it's a good
  choice, after all :)

- go to the Firefox menu (this quaint thingy usually at the top
  right with three parallel lines, you know).

- Clicking on that thingy, a menu should display. One of the
  entries is named "Web Developer" (for me it's third-last).
  Click on that.

- A sub-menu opens. Choose there "Network" (about sixth to seventh
  down)

Now the window splits (perhaps, instead, a second window opens,
depending on some mysterious browser settings). This new (sub-)
window will show the network traffic happening on a request.

Perhaps you should activate the tab "All" or something. Play
a bit around...

Now reload your page. To force reload regardless of cache state
(you /want/ to do that) hit SHIFT-CTRL-R.

Then you'll see a list of all the requests made and their results
in your network monitor (sub-)window. Failing requests (possibly
at the root of your problem?) should be marked red.

Enjoy the debugging ride :-)

Cheers
-- t

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

Brian
On Sat 24 Aug 2019 at 21:15:50 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 02:44:47PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [... some page not showing ...]
>
> I just would add this page to my (enormous) blacklist. One hash't to
> put up with all the abominations the web tries to throw at us these
> days :-)

This page is displayed on my machine; no problem. I imagine it is
displayed on any other computer on the internet, including yours
(which you didn't say).

The inability for normal things to work, even a simple URL, is a
result of the GH effect.

Brian.

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

Erwan David

Le 24/08/2019 à 20:40, Gene Heskett a écrit :

> On Saturday 24 August 2019 14:11:26 Mark Allums wrote:
>
>> On 8/24/19 9:21 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Greetings folks;
>>>
>>> https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-a
>>> rrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics
>>>
>>> All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>> ad-blocker blocker?  (site works for me)
>> Mark
> All disabled.
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

I get allblank with javascript disabled, the article with javascript
activated. It's one of those JS only site

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 08:48:45PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 24 Aug 2019 at 21:15:50 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 02:44:47PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > [... some page not showing ...]
> >
> > I just would add this page to my (enormous) blacklist. One hash't to
> > put up with all the abominations the web tries to throw at us these
> > days :-)
>
> This page is displayed on my machine; no problem. I imagine it is
> displayed on any other computer on the internet, including yours
> (which you didn't say).
I didn't even try: my default web browser doesn't "do" javascript,
so I'm nearly 100% sure it will show a white hole too.

> The inability for normal things to work, even a simple URL, is a
> result of the GH effect.

You can be smug as you want, until... some thing stops working at
your end. Then you come here :)

Cheers
-- t

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

Selim T. Erdoğan
On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 01:10:36PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 24 August 2019 12:43:39 Tixy wrote:

> > > https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-a

> > > that

> > > IDK, how do I check?
> >
> > Well, you'd know if you'd installed a specific plugin like NoScript,
>
> Stuff like noscript is installed but all that is disabled

Noscript might have become active again if you updated to
Debian 10 buster recently.

I installed noscript many years ago and tried it out but I guess back
then it felt a little annoying to have to explicitly allow all the
various pages so I allowed javascript by default.  (i.e. noscript stayed
installed but wasn't doing anything.)  A few weeks ago I finally
updated to buster and I noticed that it had gone back to blocking
javascript by default.  Since then I've been trying the block-by-default
setup and I like it so I've kept it like that.

So with noscript active, when I try the site you mention, all I get is
also a blank page.

On the same line with my address bar, to the right, there is an icon for
noscript, showing that it is blocking some sites.  By clicking on that
icon, I can try to temporarily or permanently allow code from any of those
sites.  Then I reload the page.

For your blank site, I had to allow abc4news.com and
sinclairstoryline.com.  Those two were enough for the story to appear
(though I allow some sites by default, so I am not sure if there is
something else you need to allow).

Of course, when selectively allowing only an incomplete subset of the
javascript, one can never be sure if there is more "meaningful/useful
content" on the page that you don't see but are not aware of missing.
But in this case the story looks like it's there and even has a picture,
so I assume the rest of the javascript will not add content to this news
item.

On Sat 24 Aug 2019 at 21:58:43 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 08:48:45PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Sat 24 Aug 2019 at 21:15:50 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 02:44:47PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > [... some page not showing ...]
> > >
> > > I just would add this page to my (enormous) blacklist. One hash't to
> > > put up with all the abominations the web tries to throw at us these
> > > days :-)
> >
> > This page is displayed on my machine; no problem. I imagine it is
> > displayed on any other computer on the internet, including yours
> > (which you didn't say).
>
> I didn't even try: my default web browser doesn't "do" javascript,
> so I'm nearly 100% sure it will show a white hole too.

There is more than you who have tried the URL. Nobody with a browser
doing javascript has backed up the GH observation. The site is fine.
Its the usual user cock-up.

> > The inability for normal things to work, even a simple URL, is a
> > result of the GH effect.
>
> You can be smug as you want, until... some thing stops working at
> your end. Then you come here :)

The very last thing I would post here about is a non-working URL.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 10:57:10PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sat 24 Aug 2019 at 21:58:43 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

> > You can be smug as you want, until... some thing stops working at
> > your end. Then you come here :)
>
> The very last thing I would post here about is a non-working URL.

(I hope you saw my tongue-in-cheek in spite of the wrong trigram
There, here is it ;-P

More seriously (but only somewhat) : are there any working URLs
still out there?

Cheers
-- t

On Saturday 24 August 2019 16:18:30 Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 01:10:36PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Well, you'd know if you'd installed a specific plugin like
> > > NoScript,
> >
> > Stuff like noscript is installed but all that is disabled
>
> Noscript might have become active again if you updated to
> Debian 10 buster recently.

Sorry, no. Stretch yet.

> I installed noscript many years ago and tried it out but I guess back
> then it felt a little annoying to have to explicitly allow all the
> various pages so I allowed javascript by default.  (i.e. noscript
> stayed installed but wasn't doing anything.)  A few weeks ago I
> finally updated to buster and I noticed that it had gone back to
> blocking javascript by default.  Since then I've been trying the
> block-by-default setup and I like it so I've kept it like that.
>
> So with noscript active, when I try the site you mention, all I get is
> also a blank page.
>
> On the same line with my address bar, to the right, there is an icon
> for noscript, showing that it is blocking some sites.  By clicking on
> that icon, I can try to temporarily or permanently allow code from any
> of those sites.  Then I reload the page.
>
> For your blank site, I had to allow abc4news.com and
> sinclairstoryline.com.  Those two were enough for the story to appear
> (though I allow some sites by default, so I am not sure if there is
> something else you need to allow).
>
> Of course, when selectively allowing only an incomplete subset of the
> javascript, one can never be sure if there is more "meaningful/useful
> content" on the page that you don't see but are not aware of missing.
> But in this case the story looks like it's there and even has a
> picture, so I assume the rest of the javascript will not add content
> to this news item.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: why won't ff look at this url?

bw-2

> Greetings folks;

https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/w-va-ambulance-ems-director-arrested-accused-of-missing-and-tampering-with-narcotics

> All I get for clicking on it is a blank screen.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> respectable.
> - Louis D. Brandeis

Kinda spammy, I did NOT click any of the the links or try to open them.

My guess is you are a bot, or some type of otherwise ad revenue scam. The
post is spam?  You're really good at what you do!

Good Luck,
bw

123