Quantcast

wireless configuration

Mark Peveto
Using debian with mate desktop, what are folks doing as far as wireless
configs...what is best to use that works well with mate and orca?
Commandline utils that work with speakup would be fine, too.

Mark Peveto
Registered Linux user number 600552
Laptop Enterprise powered by Debian!

Re: wireless configuration

Michelangelo Rodriguez-2

On Mon, 15 May 2017, Mark Peveto wrote:

> Using debian with mate desktop, what are folks doing as far as wireless
> configs...what is best to use that works well with mate and orca?
> Commandline utils that work with speakup would be fine, too.
Hi Mark
I personally prefer wicd, that is usable either in console than in
desktop.
You should install wicd, wicd-curses and wicd-gtk.
As i know, wicd and network-manager does'nt work togeter, and you should
disable nm for wicd to work properly.
But you could test if you find a way to configure them togeter, maybe let
me know if it is possible.
Regards,
Michelangelo

> Mark Peveto
> Registered Linux user number 600552
> Laptop Enterprise powered by Debian!

Re: wireless configuration

Alex ARNAUD-3
Le 16/05/2017 à 03:03, Mark Peveto a écrit :
> Using debian with mate desktop, what are folks doing as far as wireless
> configs...

Hello Mark,

I use the Mate wireless icon from the top panel.
To access it you can do those steps :
1) control+alt+tab until you hear top panel (or something like that, I'm
in French locale)
2) Do shift+tab until you hear network : it's between battery and sound
3) Press enter on it and after use the list with down arrow

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager
Hypra - "Humanizing technology"

Re: wireless configuration

Christian Schoepplein
Hi Alex and all,

On Di, Mai 16, 2017 at 11:11:37 +0200, Alex ARNAUD wrote:

>Le 16/05/2017 à 03:03, Mark Peveto a écrit :
>> Using debian with mate desktop, what are folks doing as far as wireless
>> configs...
>
>I use the Mate wireless icon from the top panel.
>To access it you can do those steps :
>1) control+alt+tab until you hear top panel (or something like that, I'm
>in French locale)
>2) Do shift+tab until you hear network : it's between battery and sound
>3) Press enter on it and after use the list with down arrow

Sorry, this does not work on my system, current Debian testing.

I can get into a pannel when pressing strg+alt+tab, but the only button
I can access in this panel is to activate the desktop when tapping
through the panels elements. Seems like it is the button and not the top
panel.

How can I get into the top panel via a keyboard shortcut?

Regards from Munich,

  Schoepp

Christian Schoepplein - <chris (at) schoeppi.net> - http://schoeppi.net

Re: wireless configuration

Christian Schoepplein
Hi Michelangelo,

On Di, Mai 16, 2017 at 09:27:18 +0200, Michelangelo Rodriguez wrote:
>On Mon, 15 May 2017, Mark Peveto wrote:
>> Using debian with mate desktop, what are folks doing as far as wireless
>> configs...what is best to use that works well with mate and orca?
>> Commandline utils that work with speakup would be fine, too.
>
>I personally prefer wicd, that is usable either in console than in
>desktop.

Thanks for this great tip. I was not aware of wicd before and had also
problems accessing wireless networks easily, wicd seems to be the tool
that solves this issues.

Ciao,

  Schoepp

Le 16/05/2017 à 11:55, Christian Schoepplein a écrit :
> Hi Alex and all,

Hi Christian,

>> I use the Mate wireless icon from the top panel.
>> To access it you can do those steps :
>> 1) control+alt+tab until you hear top panel (or something like that, I'm
>> in French locale)
>> 2) Do shift+tab until you hear network : it's between battery and sound
>> 3) Press enter on it and after use the list with down arrow
>
> Sorry, this does not work on my system, current Debian testing.

Indeed, I'm talking about Debian stable.

> I can get into a pannel when pressing strg+alt+tab, but the only button
> I can access in this panel is to activate the desktop when tapping
> through the panels elements. Seems like it is the button and not the top
> panel.
>
> How can I get into the top panel via a keyboard shortcut?

On testing the steps are a little bit differents :
1) Go to the desktop
2) Press ctrL+alt+shift+tab

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager
Hypra - "Humanizing technology"

Re: wireless configuration

Mark Peveto
Thanks!  I had wicd, but not the other two.  I'll work with them this morning.

Mark Peveto
Registered Linux user number 600552
Test machine powered by Debian

On Tue, 16 May 2017, Michelangelo Rodriguez wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2017, Mark Peveto wrote:
>
> > Using debian with mate desktop, what are folks doing as far as wireless
> > configs...what is best to use that works well with mate and orca?
> > Commandline utils that work with speakup would be fine, too.
> Hi Mark
> I personally prefer wicd, that is usable either in console than in desktop.
> You should install wicd, wicd-curses and wicd-gtk.
> As i know, wicd and network-manager does'nt work togeter, and you should
> disable nm for wicd to work properly.
> But you could test if you find a way to configure them togeter, maybe let me
> know if it is possible.
> Regards,
> Michelangelo
> >
> > Mark Peveto
> > Registered Linux user number 600552
> > Laptop Enterprise powered by Debian!

Re: wireless configuration

Mark Peveto
Alex,
I've tried using the pannel, but it doesn't work for me.  All I can manage to do is get stuck between "pannel", and "workspace switcher".  I'd love to
be able to use the pannel if I could ever get it to work.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:24:34PM +0200, Alex ARNAUD wrote:

>Le 16/05/2017 à 11:55, Christian Schoepplein a écrit :
>>> I use the Mate wireless icon from the top panel.
>>> To access it you can do those steps :
>>> 1) control+alt+tab until you hear top panel (or something like that, I'm
>>> in French locale)
>>> 2) Do shift+tab until you hear network : it's between battery and sound
>>> 3) Press enter on it and after use the list with down arrow
>>
>> Sorry, this does not work on my system, current Debian testing.
>
>Indeed, I'm talking about Debian stable.
>
>> I can get into a pannel when pressing strg+alt+tab, but the only button
>> I can access in this panel is to activate the desktop when tapping
>> through the panels elements. Seems like it is the button and not the top
>> panel.
>>
>> How can I get into the top panel via a keyboard shortcut?
>
>On testing the steps are a little bit differents :
>1) Go to the desktop
>2) Press ctrL+alt+shift+tab

OMG, what a horible keyboard shortcut :-). My fingers are broken now,
but it worked :-).

Ciao and thanks,

  Schoepp

Le 16/05/2017 à 14:16, Mark Peveto a écrit :
> Alex,
> I've tried using the pannel, but it doesn't work for me.  All I can manage to do is get stuck between "pannel", and "workspace switcher".  I'd love to
> be able to use the pannel if I could ever get it to work.

Hello Mark,
could you tell me which steps do you have followed ?

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager
Hypra - "Humanizing technology"

Re: wireless configuration

am_dxer

On Tue, May 16, 2017, at 05:11 AM, Alex ARNAUD wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> I use the Mate wireless icon from the top panel.
> To access it you can do those steps :
> 1) control+alt+tab until you hear top panel (or something like that, I'm
> in French locale)
> 2) Do shift+tab until you hear network : it's between battery and sound
> 3) Press enter on it and after use the list with down arrow
Hi,
One thing to be aware of with this when using testing is that if you
install over an ipv6 network, network-manager does not get installed.
This is because rdnssd is installed when the installer senses it is on
an ipv6 network and the rdnssd package conflicts with network-manager.
To resolve this, install packages network-manager and
network-manager-gnome after install. Apt will tell you that it is going
to remove rdnssd.