wsjtx

Iain R. Learmonth-3
Hi,

I've been trying to use the wsjtx as currently packaged in Debian. It
appears to segfault every time it comes round to transmitting, which is not
brilliantly useful.

I took a go at attempting to update the package in Debian to the latest
upstream version (1.5.0) from the website. After 8 hours, I'm giving up.

This is not a friendly package for distributions to carry, it combines 3
build systems together making it incredibly difficult to see when your
options are overwritten and if they are, where it is happening.

I will look at reproducing this bug later in the week and I will be filing
an RC bug on the package if I can reproduce it reliably. I see that 1.5.0 is
packaged in KI7MT's Ubuntu PPA, although the package would not be acceptable
for the Debian archives.

Could someone provide a status update as to where these packages are in
their development? If no one is interested in the package any more, please
orphan it, although know that if that happens there's a good chance I'll
follow up with an RM bug.

You can see my attempt at bringing this to the latest upstream version at:

  http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-hamradio/wsjtx.git

Thanks,
Iain.

Re: wsjtx

KI7MT
Hi Ian,

See comments below.

On 10/18/2015 16:16, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to use the wsjtx as currently packaged in Debian. It
> appears to segfault every time it comes round to transmitting, which is not
> brilliantly useful.

Build it and enable the Debug options, then run it with GDB.

I've tested v1.5.0, 1.6.0 adn v1.6.1, and have yet to get a Segfault.
Can you detail exactly how you installed and run v1.5.0?

> I took a go at attempting to update the package in Debian to the latest
> upstream version (1.5.0) from the website. After 8 hours, I'm giving up.

It can't be done with the current Upstream package setup. but that's
change in the not to distant future.

> This is not a friendly package for distributions to carry, it combines 3
> build systems together making it incredibly difficult to see when your
> options are overwritten and if they are, where it is happening.

With the current packaging method, "It Can't" be carried by Debian, as
it's using a Custom Static version of Hamlib. This issue will be
resolved in the not to distant future.

Additionally, KVASD ( the non-FOSS decoder) is about to be replaced by a
complete Open Source Decoder, with equal performance.

> I will look at reproducing this bug later in the week and I will be filing
> an RC bug on the package if I can reproduce it reliably. I see that 1.5.0 is
> packaged in KI7MT's Ubuntu PPA, although the package would not be acceptable
> for the Debian archives.

As everyone knows, Launchpad is not for Debian, I get reminded of this
all the time when I even mention word "Launchpad" in Debian arenas. I
can say, for certain, there's not problems with 1.5.0, 1.6.0 or 1.6.1
branches on Ubuntu Trusty, Vivid or Wily. And, I don't recall any faults
of the three branches on Jessie, for what it's worth.

> Could someone provide a status update as to where these packages are in
> their development? If no one is interested in the package any more, please
> orphan it, although know that if that happens there's a good chance I'll
> follow up with an RM bug.

A Couple of things to note:

[1] I've not looked recently, but I believe Nate (the Hamlib developer)
release version 3.0 or there about. At some point, WSJT-X will start to
use the distribution of Hamlib rather than a customer static library.
There's no sense in trying to package this any further until that happens.

[2] WSJT-X still relies on KVASD, the non-FOSS decoder, however, the
upstream team is about to release a FOSS decoder that is equal too or
better than KVASD, so, again, no point in pressing ahead until this
happens as WSJT-X, without the KVASD binary is severely degraded.
However, you can use the utility package ( PPA: kvasd-installer ) to
install  the decoder after installing WSJT-X.

> You can see my attempt at bringing this to the latest upstream version at:
>
>    http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-hamradio/wsjtx.git

I'll have a look at the info and see if there is anything obvious I can
detect.

> Thanks,
> Iain.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

Re: wsjtx

Iain R. Learmonth-3
On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 09:59:00PM -0600, Greg Beam wrote:
> Build it and enable the Debug options, then run it with GDB.
> I've tested v1.5.0, 1.6.0 adn v1.6.1, and have yet to get a Segfault. Can
> you detail exactly how you installed and run v1.5.0?

This is the version currently in Debian. Version 1.1.r3496-3.

I just installed it from the archives.

> With the current packaging method, "It Can't" be carried by Debian, as it's
> using a Custom Static version of Hamlib. This issue will be resolved in the
> not to distant future.
>
> Additionally, KVASD ( the non-FOSS decoder) is about to be replaced by a
> complete Open Source Decoder, with equal performance.

Ok yes, I came across these issues. I'm glad they're being worked on.

> As everyone knows, Launchpad is not for Debian, I get reminded of this all
> the time when I even mention word "Launchpad" in Debian arenas. I can say,
> for certain, there's not problems with 1.5.0, 1.6.0 or 1.6.1 branches on
> Ubuntu Trusty, Vivid or Wily. And, I don't recall any faults of the three
> branches on Jessie, for what it's worth.

Yep, ok. So we know things are working in Ubuntu but there are DFSG issues
to resolve before the Debian package can be updated. That's the information
I was looking for.

> A Couple of things to note:
>
> [1] I've not looked recently, but I believe Nate (the Hamlib developer)
> release version 3.0 or there about. At some point, WSJT-X will start to use
> the distribution of Hamlib rather than a customer static library. There's no
> sense in trying to package this any further until that happens.

I guess I should probably get round to packaging the new hamlib then.
Version 3.0 has been released.

> [2] WSJT-X still relies on KVASD, the non-FOSS decoder, however, the
> upstream team is about to release a FOSS decoder that is equal too or better
> than KVASD, so, again, no point in pressing ahead until this happens as
> WSJT-X, without the KVASD binary is severely degraded. However, you can use
> the utility package ( PPA: kvasd-installer ) to install  the decoder after
> installing WSJT-X.

Ok cool. (:

> >   http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-hamradio/wsjtx.git
> I'll have a look at the info and see if there is anything obvious I can
> detect.

It's probably not worth taking a look, as if there are DFSG issues that
you're working on and you understand the package better than me, you should
probably throw that git repo away and just work from what you have.

One thing to note though, is that the source I downloaded for 1.5.0 seemed
to contain two tarballs, one for the hamlib and one for wsjtx. The FTP team
will not allow sources to be shipped in tarballs inside source packages as
it interferes with things like sources.debian.net. Source code in the
package must be in the "preferred form of editing". See:

  https://wiki.debian.org/UnpackWaf

Thanks for your work on this.

Iain.

Re: wsjtx

KI7MT
Hi Iain, Kamal,

Joe (K1JT) just committed the first, in what I am sure will be a series
of commits, replacement for KVASD (the new decoder is sfrsd2 by Steve
Franke K9AN and Joe Taylor K1JT and is FOSS) for WSJT (Python3 version).

I believe Kamal is the primary maintainer for this App in Debian.

This update is a significant change insofar as, we will no longer need
to patch the source code to ommit the calls to KVASD (non-FOSS decoder)
in WSJT sources.

I'll keep an eye on things and when he's released the next version of
WSJT (Python3 Version), will let you know so we can get WSJT updated in
Debian / Ubuntu.

Additionally, WSJT does not use Hamlib, so there is not obstacles to
overcome on the Static Library front.

73's
Greg, KI7MT