x and virtual consoles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

x and virtual consoles

ed neville-4
Hello,

For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.

The way to reproduce the problem is as follows:

  1. log in via lightdm/gdm
  2. switch to a text console
  3. run startx and use the window manager for a moment or two
  4. switch back to first session

At this point you should be presented with the default login screen
after the x session crashed.

What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console can
cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins only.

Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run several
user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during Jessie or
Stretch.

Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
without noticing?

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Nektarios Katakis
On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 21:01:57 +0100
Ed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
> session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.
>
> The way to reproduce the problem is as follows:
>
>   1. log in via lightdm/gdm
>   2. switch to a text console
>   3. run startx and use the window manager for a moment or two
>   4. switch back to first session
>
> At this point you should be presented with the default login screen
> after the x session crashed.
>
> What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console
> can cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins
> only.
>
> Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run
> several user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during
> Jessie or Stretch.
>
> Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
> GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
> without noticing?
>

Indeed the problem seems reproducible for debian Stretch with sddm display manager.
The only logs appearing are from KDE applications (nothing in X11 logs):
```
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kpasswdserver[958]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kuiserver[958]: kuiserver: Fatal IO error: client killed
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.a11y.atspi.Registry[1251]: XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kglobalaccel[958]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.a11y.atspi.Registry[1251]:       after 947 requests (947 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.KScreen[958]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
```

Unfortunately my PC even worse gets stuck after that so I cant really tell if X11 is running.
I hadn't used multiple x sessions for sometime (after I got used to multiple desktops) but this seems an issue.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Cindy Sue Causey
In reply to this post by ed neville-4
On 8/4/19, Ed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
> session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.
>
> The way to reproduce the problem is as follows:
>
>   1. log in via lightdm/gdm
>   2. switch to a text console
>   3. run startx and use the window manager for a moment or two
>   4. switch back to first session
>
> At this point you should be presented with the default login screen
> after the x session crashed.
>
> What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console can
> cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins only.
>
> Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run several
> user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during Jessie or
> Stretch.
>
> Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
> GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
> without noticing?


Hi, Ed.. Am not having the bestest of "cognitive" days (so the tech
aspect is just out of reach overhead), but I can comment a little. I
remember being able to have two full graphical sessions running, each
on a different [console]. I tried to do it a few months ago because of
some reason I actually needed it finally... and it didn't work.

It didn't work just now, either. It crashed again. The blurb that I
caught and that I could still remember while switching between
consoles was that it would send feedback to
~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log.

If that's true, it ends with:

"Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file."

Successfully? Maybe it just means that it didn't hang permanently and
that it closed out without leaving any loose ends. The date stamp on
that file is appropriate for when I just tried it.

Then I got to thinking.. I next tried root and a different regular
user account, and both worked fine. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong
about past experiences.

It's possible I never tried to open two sessions of the *same* User
until very recently. If I did go that second console route for any
real purpose, it would have most likely been about accessing root for
a few seconds for whatever reason. That would explain why my memory is
that things always worked.

The first time I ever would have tried it at all would have been out
of curiosity as to whether or not two graphical interfaces were even
possible at the same time... since there ARE additional consoles just
hanging around doing nothin'. :)

Kind of make sense that it would, maybe should crash for the same
User. Seems like being signed in as the same person twice might,
likely would cause conflicts of some kind. Maybe there's a "lockfile"
situation of some type keeping the same User from signing in twice?

OR NOT. :)

Have fun!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey
Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia, USA

* runs with birdseed *

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Cindy Sue Causey
In reply to this post by Nektarios Katakis
On 8/4/19, nektarios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 21:01:57 +0100
> Ed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console
>> can cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins
>> only.
>>
>> Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run
>> several user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during
>> Jessie or Stretch.
>>
>> Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
>> GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
>> without noticing?


After sending mine off here, I re-read and thought,, *OH, man, I fully
missed the point.*

But I *was* able to get a GUI of *some* sort. I'm on Bullseye with
xfce4 and ALL that it draws in.

I've never tried to get anything to interact. It's always about get
in, un-bork something, and get back out.

Messaging between the sessions ala the way we were able to with AS/400
systems mid-1990's comes to mind as a way to test that interaction
ability. I've come across references to packages that MIGHT do that,
but I've never had an excuse to download and test drive it/them.


> Indeed the problem seems reproducible for debian Stretch with sddm display
> manager.


I'll have to give it another shot with those specifics you all are
saying, but today's definitely not that day *cognitively*. :)

I've seen where some of you all write about having even more
minimalist systems than my bare bones debootstraps. I've tried going
that route and just haven't found something that fits what I need.
Might just be about adaptation and the lack of being able to do so
under extreme duress/stress.


> The only logs appearing are from KDE applications (nothing in X11 logs):
> ```
> Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kpasswdserver[958]: The X11 connection
> broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
> Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kuiserver[958]: kuiserver: Fatal IO error:
> client killed
> Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.a11y.atspi.Registry[1251]: XIO:  fatal IO error
> 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
> Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kglobalaccel[958]: The X11 connection broke
> (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
> Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.a11y.atspi.Registry[1251]:       after 947
> requests (947 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.KScreen[958]: The X11 connection broke
> (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
> ```
>
> Unfortunately my PC even worse gets stuck after that so I cant really tell
> if X11 is running.
> I hadn't used multiple x sessions for sometime (after I got used to multiple
> desktops) but this seems an issue.


Mine referenced going to ~/.local/share/xorg/* for feedback. That's
where I did find what appeared to be tinely appropriate for my shot at
this.

Started to joke that I'm grateful mine at least didn't do that (get
stuck), BUT... it DID take it n extra long while to calm down when I
got back over to F7. That was after I successfully logged in as root
AND "elf" (instead of "candycane") in full xfce4 graphical interface.

I'm on extremely limited hardware resources right now. 1GB RAM memory
so I *a-sumed* that was probably what the momentary hangup was there
when coming back up after those two success stories occurred.

I'll have to try doing more of what it sounds like you all are doing.
I downloaded several different "window managers" (versus "desktop
environments") just two or three weeks ago but then came back over to
ol' familiar and friendly Xfce4. Thank you to its Developers!

I need to order a new hard drive (TODAY, yikes). With this thread in
mind, I'll create a couple extra partitions dedicated to the "window
managers" part of this thread when it's time.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey
Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia, USA

* runs with birdseed *

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Nektarios Katakis
On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 18:36:44 -0400
Cindy Sue Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/4/19, nektarios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 21:01:57 +0100
> > Ed <[hidden email]> wrote:  
> >>
> >> What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console
> >> can cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm
> >> logins only.
> >>
> >> Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run
> >> several user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during
> >> Jessie or Stretch.
> >>
> >> Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing
> >> multi GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped
> >> past me without noticing?  
>
>
> After sending mine off here, I re-read and thought,, *OH, man, I fully
> missed the point.*
>
> But I *was* able to get a GUI of *some* sort. I'm on Bullseye with
> xfce4 and ALL that it draws in.
>
> I've never tried to get anything to interact. It's always about get
> in, un-bork something, and get back out.
>
> Messaging between the sessions ala the way we were able to with AS/400
> systems mid-1990's comes to mind as a way to test that interaction
> ability. I've come across references to packages that MIGHT do that,
> but I've never had an excuse to download and test drive it/them.
>
>
> > Indeed the problem seems reproducible for debian Stretch with sddm
> > display manager.  
>
>
> I'll have to give it another shot with those specifics you all are
> saying, but today's definitely not that day *cognitively*. :)
>
> I've seen where some of you all write about having even more
> minimalist systems than my bare bones debootstraps. I've tried going
> that route and just haven't found something that fits what I need.
> Might just be about adaptation and the lack of being able to do so
> under extreme duress/stress.
>
>
> > The only logs appearing are from KDE applications (nothing in X11
> > logs): ```
> > Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kpasswdserver[958]: The X11
> > connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
> > Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kuiserver[958]: kuiserver: Fatal
> > IO error: client killed
> > Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.a11y.atspi.Registry[1251]: XIO:  fatal
> > IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
> > Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.kglobalaccel[958]: The X11
> > connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
> > Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.a11y.atspi.Registry[1251]:       after
> > 947 requests (947 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> > Aug  4 22:40:41 buldozer org.kde.KScreen[958]: The X11 connection
> > broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
> > ```
> >
> > Unfortunately my PC even worse gets stuck after that so I cant
> > really tell if X11 is running.
> > I hadn't used multiple x sessions for sometime (after I got used to
> > multiple desktops) but this seems an issue.  
>
>
> Mine referenced going to ~/.local/share/xorg/* for feedback. That's
> where I did find what appeared to be tinely appropriate for my shot at
> this.
>
> Started to joke that I'm grateful mine at least didn't do that (get
> stuck), BUT... it DID take it n extra long while to calm down when I
> got back over to F7. That was after I successfully logged in as root
> AND "elf" (instead of "candycane") in full xfce4 graphical interface.
>
> I'm on extremely limited hardware resources right now. 1GB RAM memory
> so I *a-sumed* that was probably what the momentary hangup was there
> when coming back up after those two success stories occurred.
>
> I'll have to try doing more of what it sounds like you all are doing.
> I downloaded several different "window managers" (versus "desktop
> environments") just two or three weeks ago but then came back over to
> ol' familiar and friendly Xfce4. Thank you to its Developers!
>
> I need to order a new hard drive (TODAY, yikes). With this thread in
> mind, I'll create a couple extra partitions dedicated to the "window
> managers" part of this thread when it's time.
>
> Cindy :)


The xorg log file doesn't seem to have any kind of error in it.
At [1501.620] I start the new session but shows nothing. You can find it
attached.

Nektarios.

Xorg.1.log.old (51K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Felix Miata-3
In reply to this post by ed neville-4
Ed composed on 2019-08-04 21:01 (UTC+0100):

> For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
> session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.

> The way to reproduce the problem is as follows:

>   1. log in via lightdm/gdm
>   2. switch to a text console
>   3. run startx and use the window manager for a moment or two
>   4. switch back to first session

> At this point you should be presented with the default login screen
> after the x session crashed.

> What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console can
> cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins only.

> Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run several
> user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during Jessie or
> Stretch.

> Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
> GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
> without noticing?

Works on 32 bit Buster on host m7ncd here, with one little glitch that Ctrl-Alt-F3
from vtty4 doesn't get me to the session running on vtty3, but Ctrl-Alt-F2 will
get me to vtty2, from which Ctrl-Alt-F3 does work as expected, as does Ctrl-Alt-F4
from the session on vtty3. Wierd.

However, your description I do have memory of from last winter. The problem is my
memory currently lacks any connective dots between
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1663050
and any possible appearance in Debian months ago.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is religion, not science.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

ed neville-4
In reply to this post by Nektarios Katakis
On 2019-08-04 22:54+0100, nektarios wrote:
> Indeed the problem seems reproducible for debian Stretch with sddm
> display manager.
> The only logs appearing are from KDE applications (nothing in X11 logs):

Could this be systemd? My only thoughts are that systemd starts the x
server on a vt, but ctrl-alt-f6 doesn't have permission to swtich back
to the vt. The x process has a '-novtswitch' argument which looks
suspicious to me. I tried to change that in the lightdm conf, but it
seems to be appended as an argument to the program (maybe hardcoded).

> Unfortunately my PC even worse gets stuck after that so I cant really
> tell if X11 is running.
> I hadn't used multiple x sessions for sometime (after I got used to
> multiple desktops) but this seems an issue.

I think virtualisation replaced a lot of the requirement for most people
to have two displays running. I find user separation sufficient for most
working-from-home tasks without needing to store a virtual disk image.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

ed neville-4
In reply to this post by Felix Miata-3
On 2019-08-04 20:06-0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Works on 32 bit Buster on host m7ncd here, with one little glitch that
> Ctrl-Alt-F3

I've not tried 32bit. I'll get the ISO and give that a whirl.

> memory currently lacks any connective dots between
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1663050
> and any possible appearance in Debian months ago.

That seems to be a different issue not vt switching from a lightdm/gdm
spawned X to a tty spawned X crashing the login manager's X.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Curt
In reply to this post by ed neville-4
On 2019-08-04, Ed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
> session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.
>
>
> What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console can
> cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins only.

Is this related to this (I can't really understand what you're saying
here, actually, though everybody else seems to, but what the hell):

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/46655
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/10/msg00603.html

If not, disregard (there's not really any help in those links I must
admit, either).

> Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run several
> user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during Jessie or
> Stretch.
>
> Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
> GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
> without noticing?
>


--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

deloptes-2
In reply to this post by ed neville-4
Ed wrote:

> For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
> session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.
>
> The way to reproduce the problem is as follows:
>
> 1. log in via lightdm/gdm
> 2. switch to a text console
> 3. run startx and use the window manager for a moment or two
> 4. switch back to first session
>
> At this point you should be presented with the default login screen
> after the x session crashed.
>
> What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console can
> cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins only.
>
> Something happened between jobs which meant I didn't need to run several
> user accounts at once. It may have been introduced during Jessie or
> Stretch.
>
> Am I alone, or do other people have this issue also? Am I doing multi
> GUI wrong, is there a modern way to do this that has slipped past me
> without noticing?

IMO you can not run multiple X sessions from the same user. I am not 100%
sure, but I can imagine what would happen with the session manager.

AFAIR if you start a new X session it will take the next virtual available.

So if your first session is on vt7 (CTRL) ALT+F7 the next one will be on
(CTRL) ALT+F8.

I have used this only with different users and from the login manager or
from the desktop by starting new user session.

Doing it from the same user makes no sense IMO. Why would you do this?

regards


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Curt
In reply to this post by ed neville-4
On 2019-08-04, Ed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   1. log in via lightdm/gdm
>   2. switch to a text console
>   3. run startx and use the window manager for a moment or two
>   4. switch back to first session

Maybe this is the bug we're looking for:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=834270

Fix (Simon says):

 * removing the call to /usr/bin/clear_console from ~/.bash_logout
 (console is cleared anyway nowadays)
 * replacing the call to /usr/bin/clear_console with /usr/bin/reset in
 ~/.bash_logout

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Felix Miata-3
Curt composed on 2019-08-05 11:29 (UTC):

> Maybe this is the bug we're looking for:

> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=834270

> Fix (Simon says):

>  * removing the call to /usr/bin/clear_console from ~/.bash_logout
>  (console is cleared anyway nowadays)
>  * replacing the call to /usr/bin/clear_console with /usr/bin/reset in
>  ~/.bash_logout

That's the bug and workaround I couldn't remember for my  previous reply. I rarely
login on vtty1 as a habit going back many moons.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is religion, not science.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

ed neville-4
On 2019-08-05 11:11-0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> > Fix (Simon says):
>
> >  * removing the call to /usr/bin/clear_console from ~/.bash_logout
> >  (console is cleared anyway nowadays)
> >  * replacing the call to /usr/bin/clear_console with /usr/bin/reset in
> >  ~/.bash_logout

Why would bash_logout be involved thought? Switching vt should not force
a logout. I can understand it forcing a lock screen, but not a logout,
surely?

> That's the bug and workaround I couldn't remember for my  previous reply. I rarely
> login on vtty1 as a habit going back many moons.

That didn't solve it for me, unfortunately. I will try again this week
with a selection of different Debian versions.

To explain a little more about why I used this heavily, my local user
'ed' would have a normal xfce desktop, whilst my working from home user
would match the username at $corp for convenience. The rest of the
family have their own user accounts and we could work in harmony.

What I've found though, is that this issue doesn't occur with
Elementary. I've not tested with plain Ubuntu. In a way, if the problem
exists in Ubuntu or one of the other variants then I may have a delta to
investigate.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Curt
In reply to this post by Felix Miata-3
On 2019-08-05, Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Curt composed on 2019-08-05 11:29 (UTC):
>
>> Maybe this is the bug we're looking for:
>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=834270
>
>> Fix (Simon says):
>
>>  * removing the call to /usr/bin/clear_console from ~/.bash_logout
>>  (console is cleared anyway nowadays)
>>  * replacing the call to /usr/bin/clear_console with /usr/bin/reset in
>>  ~/.bash_logout
>
> That's the bug and workaround I couldn't remember for my  previous reply. I rarely
> login on vtty1 as a habit going back many moons.

Wading through extraneous material until arrival at the relevant log
files, which may reveal some clue, except those are curiously kept under
wraps.


--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

ed neville-4
In reply to this post by Curt
On 2019-08-05 09:57-0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2019-08-04, Ed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > For years I would happily ctrl-alt-f<1-6> for an additional x.org
> > session by running 'startx' and another window manager. Until now-ish.
> >
> > What I have observed is that x sessions started from a text console can
> > cooperate with each other, it seems limited to lightdm/gdm logins only.
>
> Is this related to this (I can't really understand what you're saying
> here, actually, though everybody else seems to, but what the hell):
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/46655

This is seems to be a bug for gnome-terminal, not the x session. But the
log looks a little familiar.

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/10/msg00603.html

This is similar, but not quite as raw as what I experience. I don't have
to exit one of the x sessions, only start x from tty1 and the greeter
spawned x will crash.

However, starting an x session on tty1 and then log in on tty2 as
another user, I can happily switch between tty1 and tty2.

I'll get a log from x tomorrow. I keep wondering if it is down to the
'-novtswitch' option added to xorg by lightdm. However, these steps at
the top of the thread will reproduce in a qemu vm, and that uses gdm,
maybe systemd does something weird with vt7?

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

ed neville-4
In reply to this post by deloptes-2
On 2019-08-05 13:11+0200, deloptes wrote:
> IMO you can not run multiple X sessions from the same user. I am not
> 100% sure, but I can imagine what would happen with the session
> manager.

I have done in the past, one 'ed' would run xfce and another would run
evilwm. However, the majority of use would be from 'ed' and a different
user account for working from home in.

> So if your first session is on vt7 (CTRL) ALT+F7 the next one will be
> on
> (CTRL) ALT+F8.

This is what I think is expected now if you want tty1 and ctrl-alt-f1 to
match:

  /usr/bin/startx -display :1 -- :1 vt1

> I have used this only with different users and from the login manager
> or
> from the desktop by starting new user session.

How do you run two login managers though so that you can have two users
share the same computer without having to log out? In other words,
whilst I go and make dinner I want to allow someone else to sit here,
without having to shut applications down?

> Doing it from the same user makes no sense IMO. Why would you do this?

Well, in the weird times when I did, it was a different desktop
environment (evilwm for code, xfce for web browsing and mail). Avoids
bells and notifications from disturbing me. I'm not doing that these
days, now I just don't want to switch user spaces. If it auto-locked,
that'd be nice, too, I seem to remember that switching would auto-lock.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

David Wright-3
On Mon 05 Aug 2019 at 21:56:55 (+0100), Ed wrote:
> On 2019-08-05 13:11+0200, deloptes wrote:
> > IMO you can not run multiple X sessions from the same user. I am not
> > 100% sure, but I can imagine what would happen with the session
> > manager.
>
> I have done in the past, one 'ed' would run xfce and another would run
> evilwm. However, the majority of use would be from 'ed' and a different
> user account for working from home in.

Sure. This machine is running two X servers as me. As I don't want my
.xsession-errors files to be interleaved, I made one small change to
a system configuration file. In /etc/X11/Xsession I added the line
ERRFILE=$HOME/.xsession-errors-$(/bin/date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)
but it does mean that I have to sweep them up. I had thought about
distinguishing them by the VC they started on, but haven't got
round to it. Everything else that requires distinguishing uses
$DISPLAY.

> > So if your first session is on vt7 (CTRL) ALT+F7 the next one will be
> > on
> > (CTRL) ALT+F8.
>
> This is what I think is expected now if you want tty1 and ctrl-alt-f1 to
> match:
>
>   /usr/bin/startx -display :1 -- :1 vt1

Perhaps this is all to do with your DM. I use startx, and since
stretch the Xserver runs "on top of" the VC that started it, and
as the user, not root. In the past, Xservers ran as root on VC7,
VC8, …

> > I have used this only with different users and from the login manager
> > or
> > from the desktop by starting new user session.
>
> How do you run two login managers though so that you can have two users
> share the same computer without having to log out? In other words,
> whilst I go and make dinner I want to allow someone else to sit here,
> without having to shut applications down?
>
> > Doing it from the same user makes no sense IMO. Why would you do this?

Different window managers and desktop configurations. But that's not
the point. It makes no sense to me *not* to be able to do it. It would
be like going back to non-reentrant code when ten instances of emacs
sessions would mean ten executables tying up memory.

> Well, in the weird times when I did, it was a different desktop
> environment (evilwm for code, xfce for web browsing and mail). Avoids
> bells and notifications from disturbing me. I'm not doing that these
> days, now I just don't want to switch user spaces. If it auto-locked,
> that'd be nice, too, I seem to remember that switching would auto-lock.

Cheers,
David.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

Andrei POPESCU-2
In reply to this post by ed neville-4
On Lu, 05 aug 19, 21:56:55, Ed wrote:
>
> How do you run two login managers though so that you can have two users
> share the same computer without having to log out? In other words,
> whilst I go and make dinner I want to allow someone else to sit here,
> without having to shut applications down?

Some login managers have the "switch user" feature.

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

ed neville-4
In reply to this post by David Wright-3
On 2019-08-05 16:59-0500, David Wright wrote:
> Perhaps this is all to do with your DM. I use startx, and since
> stretch the Xserver runs "on top of" the VC that started it, and
> as the user, not root. In the past, Xservers ran as root on VC7,
> VC8, …

Does lightdm or gdm act as your greeter? I have not reproduced this
between xsessions started by tty login, only ever the session started by
lightdm crashes.

Tried to force a x session on vt8, but that responds with 'Permission
denied' when doing that. I think system d sets up the permissions of
tty1 when you use that console:

  crw------- 1 ed   tty     4,  1 2019-08-06 06:57:48 /dev/tty1

[   757.147] (--) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: touchpad found
[   778.512] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
[   786.321] (II) AIGLX: Resuming AIGLX clients after VT switch
[   786.321] (EE) modeset(0): drmSetMaster failed: Invalid argument
[   786.321] (EE) modeset(0): failed to set mode: Permission denied
[   786.321] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[   786.321] (EE) EnterVT failed for screen 0
[   786.321] (EE)
[   786.321] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[   786.321] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[   786.321] (EE)
[   786.321] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
[   786.376] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

To eliminate my actions from this, I tried again without telling startx
which vt to use, and the error above happened on the *second* switch
back to vt7.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x and virtual consoles

ed neville-4
In reply to this post by Andrei POPESCU-2
On 2019-08-06 09:02+0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 05 aug 19, 21:56:55, Ed wrote:
> >
> > How do you run two login managers though so that you can have two users
> > share the same computer without having to log out? In other words,
> > whilst I go and make dinner I want to allow someone else to sit here,
> > without having to shut applications down?
>
> Some login managers have the "switch user" feature.

Does that feature take the user back to the login screen without leaving
the applications running?

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

12