x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

Carl Fink-4
So, I removed firefox-esr and replaced it with stable firefox. I ran
update-alternatives to point to firefox-esr. The current listing doesn't
even include firefox-esr:

root@debian-NUCi5:~# update-alternatives --list x-www-browser
/usr/bin/chromium
/usr/bin/epiphany-browser
/usr/bin/firefox
/usr/bin/surf

When I run 'rclone config' this happens:

Failed to execute default Web Browser.

Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/firefox-esr' (no such file or
directory).

Note that the incorrect punctuation is as shown in the GUI dialog that pops up.

I click OK, and the text-mode rclone (why is the error GUI but the program
itself in the terminal?) sits there saying "waiting for code ..." forever.
Not a graceful way to handle the failure to log into Google, is it?

If rclone isn't looking for the browser in the alternatives, where is it
looking? Firefox-esr hasn't been on this system for weeks.

I did try launching a fresh Xfce-terminal from the menu, but got the same
error.

Thanks in advance.
--
Carl Fink                                                  [hidden email]
https://reasonablyliterate.com                           https://nitpicking.com
        -Kenne Estes

Re: x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Sb, 04 apr 20, 12:32:06, Carl Fink wrote:
> So, I removed firefox-esr and replaced it with stable firefox. I ran
> update-alternatives to point to firefox-esr. The current listing doesn't
> even include firefox-esr:

This makes no sense to me, could you please rephrase? What browser do
you have installed right now? How did you install firefox-esr and
firefox?

> root@debian-NUCi5:~# update-alternatives --list x-www-browser
> /usr/bin/chromium
> /usr/bin/epiphany-browser
> /usr/bin/firefox
> /usr/bin/surf

Please post the output of

    update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Kind regards,
Andrei

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 09:12:54AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 04 apr 20, 12:32:06, Carl Fink wrote:
> > So, I removed firefox-esr and replaced it with stable firefox. I ran
> > update-alternatives to point to firefox-esr. The current listing doesn't
> > even include firefox-esr:
>
> This makes no sense to me, could you please rephrase? What browser do
> you have installed right now? How did you install firefox-esr and
> firefox?

Right now, stable Firefox from mozilla.org binary. Previously, the firefox-esr
package from Debian Stable, installed and removed using apt.

> > root@debian-NUCi5:~# update-alternatives --list x-www-browser
> > /usr/bin/chromium
> > /usr/bin/epiphany-browser
> > /usr/bin/firefox
> > /usr/bin/surf
>
> Please post the output of
>
>     update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

carlf@debian-NUCi5:~$ update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
There are 4 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing /usr/bin/x-www-browser).

  Selection    Path                       Priority   Status
* 0            /usr/bin/epiphany-browser   85        auto mode
  1            /usr/bin/chromium           40        manual mode
  2            /usr/bin/epiphany-browser   85        manual mode
  3            /usr/bin/firefox            20        manual mode
  4            /usr/bin/surf               30        manual mode

Press <enter> to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

Note that the current selection 3 was added after I posted (by manually
creating a .desktop file).  And that doing that had no effect on how rclone
reacted--it still tried to launch a nonexistent firefox-esr.

I worked around the problem by making a symbolic link from
/usr/bin/chromium to /usr/bin/firefox-esr (because I do all my
organizational Google stuff, and only Google stuff, using Chromium, to keep
organizational Google stuff separate from my personal things).

(Then I found out that rclone, despite having the motto "rsync for cloud
storage", doesn't actually do what rsync does, which was disappointing.)
        -Kenne Estes

On Du, 05 apr 20, 07:35:00, Carl Fink wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 09:12:54AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > Please post the output of
> >
> >     update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
>
> carlf@debian-NUCi5:~$ update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
> There are 4 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing /usr/bin/x-www-browser).
>
>   Selection    Path                       Priority   Status
> * 0            /usr/bin/epiphany-browser   85        auto mode
>   1            /usr/bin/chromium           40        manual mode
>   2            /usr/bin/epiphany-browser   85        manual mode
>   3            /usr/bin/firefox            20        manual mode
>   4            /usr/bin/surf               30        manual mode
>
> Press <enter> to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
>

> Note that the current selection 3 was added after I posted (by manually
> creating a .desktop file).  And that doing that had no effect on how rclone
> reacted--it still tried to launch a nonexistent firefox-esr.
The output above shows epiphany-browser as being the current selection.

Maybe rclone is not using x-www-browser, but some other mechanism (or
just hardcodes firefox).

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

Carl Fink-6
On 4/5/20 8:37 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> The output above shows epiphany-browser as being the current selection.
True. But not relevant.
> Maybe rclone is not using x-www-browser, but some other mechanism (or
> just hardcodes firefox).

I asked what other mechanism could be used in the original, at the
same time I quoted a message from rclone saying that it was trying to
run /usr/bin/firefox-esr, which is unlikely to be hardcoded.
--
Carl Fink                           [hidden email]
Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!

Re: x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

David Wright-3
On Sun 05 Apr 2020 at 09:53:13 (-0400), Carl Fink wrote:

> On 4/5/20 8:37 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > The output above shows epiphany-browser as being the current
> > selection.
> True. But not relevant.
> > Maybe rclone is not using x-www-browser, but some other mechanism (or
> > just hardcodes firefox).
> >
> I asked what other mechanism could be used in the original, at the
> same time I quoted a message from rclone saying that it was trying to
> run /usr/bin/firefox-esr, which is unlikely to be hardcoded.

Is it worth running rclone config with -vv, and --log-file pointing
somewhere? The documentation suggests this will show what rclone is
trying to do.

Cheers,
David.

Re: x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

Alexander V. Makartsev
On 05.04.2020 18:53, Carl Fink wrote:
On 4/5/20 8:37 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
The output above shows epiphany-browser as being the current selection.
True. But not relevant.
Maybe rclone is not using x-www-browser, but some other mechanism (or
just hardcodes firefox).

I asked what other mechanism could be used in the original, at the
same time I quoted a message from rclone saying that it was trying to
run /usr/bin/firefox-esr, which is unlikely to be hardcoded.
If I'm getting it right, you are using Xfce, so first place you should look at is "exo-preferred-applications" [1] applet.
It probably points to a "/usr/bin/sensible-browser" wrapper script to find a default browser among several "alternatives" links.
"x-www-browser" is not the only default link for a browser, so you should also check "alternatives" for "gnome-www-browser", "www-browser" configs.
Also check if environment variable named "$BROWSER" is set. It is not required to be set, but some console programs could rely on it and this is the first thing "sensible-browser" script uses to find your default browser.
Probably because of installation of a "unsupported" firefox package "alternatives" for a browser were not changed, so you will have to create additional options for "alternatives" configs, so links would point to a right browser.
Check out man page for "update-alternatives" to find out how to create new options for existing configs and manually switch between them.

[1] https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/exo/preferred-applications

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 11:03:07PM +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

> If I'm getting it right, you are using Xfce, so first place you should
> look at is "exo-preferred-applications" [1] applet.

And that was it. Thank you. Now if only rclone actually did what I needed

This is getting well beyond Debian, but why would GNU/Linux in general have
so many overlapping ways to register default applications?

Should I report as a bug (in exo-preferred-applications) that removing a
package (firefox-esr) didn't remove it as the default?
        -Kenne Estes

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 10:52:23AM -0500, David Wright wrote:

> Is it worth running rclone config with -vv, and --log-file pointing
> somewhere? The documentation suggests this will show what rclone is
> trying to do.

Not any more, since my ln -s trick worked. Thanks for the suggestions,
though.
        -Kenne Estes

On Du, 05 apr 20, 16:20:42, Carl Fink wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 11:03:07PM +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
>
> > If I'm getting it right, you are using Xfce, so first place you should
> > look at is "exo-preferred-applications" [1] applet.
>
> And that was it. Thank you. Now if only rclone actually did what I needed
>
> This is getting well beyond Debian, but why would GNU/Linux in general have
> so many overlapping ways to register default applications?
Probably a case of competing standards.

https://xkcd.com/927/

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

Curt
On 2020-04-06, Andrei POPESCU <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> This is getting well beyond Debian, but why would GNU/Linux in general have
>> so many overlapping ways to register default applications?
>
> Probably a case of competing standards.

Seems more like the distinction between a user-defined preference
(*Preferred Applications* button in the Xfce Settings Manager) and a
system-wide default (/etc/alternatives being designed for the case where
the user has failed to specify a particular preference among two or
more alternatives). That rclone would privilege the former over the
latter seems completely reasonable to me.

On Lu, 06 apr 20, 09:46:50, Curt wrote:

> On 2020-04-06, Andrei POPESCU <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> This is getting well beyond Debian, but why would GNU/Linux in general have
> >> so many overlapping ways to register default applications?
> >
> > Probably a case of competing standards.
>
> Seems more like the distinction between a user-defined preference
> (*Preferred Applications* button in the Xfce Settings Manager) and a
> system-wide default (/etc/alternatives being designed for the case where
> the user has failed to specify a particular preference among two or
> more alternatives). That rclone would privilege the former over the
> latter seems completely reasonable to me.
The "/etc/alternatives" mechanism is  Debian specific, there is little
incentive for various upstreams to use it.

As far as I know whatever "Preferred Applications" mechanism the DE is
using is also not standardized, which doesn't help :(

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

Nicolas George-4
Andrei POPESCU (12020-04-06):
> Probably a case of competing standards.

That, and a case of gambit pileup when software try to be smart, to
out-smart the other software implementing the other standards to make
them interact with their own, while the other software do exactly the
same, and end up being very stupid.

  Nicolas George