xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
78 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Denis Barbier
Hi,

I just uploaded xkb-data 0.8-13 into unstable, it
is available at http://people.debian.org/~barbier/tmp/
and will reach mirrors in almost a day.

This version is very similar to 0.8-12exp4, I believe
that it is pretty solid, but needs more polishing.
We can discuss to change default settings and broken
layouts, but keep in mind that since most layouts
were unusable, people now have different habits and
we cannot make everybody happy with default settings.

Please, test it, send feedback if something does not
work or can be improved, write documentation for other
powerpc users that could be included in xkb-data, etc.
Thanks for your help.

Denis


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Helge Kreutzmann
Hello,
On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 02:19:42AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> I just uploaded xkb-data 0.8-13 into unstable, it
> is available at http://people.debian.org/~barbier/tmp/
> and will reach mirrors in almost a day.

I took it from your directory, as even ftp.debian.org does not have it
(yet).

> This version is very similar to 0.8-12exp4, I believe
> that it is pretty solid, but needs more polishing.
> We can discuss to change default settings and broken
> layouts, but keep in mind that since most layouts
> were unusable, people now have different habits and
> we cannot make everybody happy with default settings.

Well, no change for me, except that it does not crash X anymore :-))

So the following still needs to be done for a german ibook keyboard:

1. When pressing the key between ß? and backspace, I still get
   nothing, while I expect ' as printed on the key. With the shift
   modifier it works. This is keycode 21.

2. The AltGr-Bracket sequence is still "wrong", i.e. I would like the
   PC style version, i.e. (starting at AltGR-7) {[]}\ while I get
   (starting at AltGr-5) []|{}}\. This behaviour should be switchable.
   Also I still wonder why "}" is on AltGr-9 *and* AltGr-0.

3. AltGr-Q still produces "«" and not "@"

I am happy that you kept AltGr-Y and AltGr-X as "«" and "»".

Also several characters are on several positions, e.g. `, ~, |, «, ß,
 }. As of now, I don't see this as a problem, but maybe a general
consensus should be found regarding the AltGr-mapping.

> Please, test it, send feedback if something does not
> work or can be improved, write documentation for other
> powerpc users that could be included in xkb-data, etc.

Please let me know if you need more/other feedback.

> Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your efforts cleaning this up.

Greetings

        Helge
--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.           [hidden email]
                       gpg signed mail preferred
    64bit GNU powered                  http://www.itp.uni-hannover.de/~kreutzm
          Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Bin Zhang
In reply to this post by Denis Barbier
Hi,

On 9/23/06, Denis Barbier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just uploaded xkb-data 0.8-13 into unstable, it
> is available at http://people.debian.org/~barbier/tmp/

Thanks. It works fine on my ibook G4 1.2Ghz 12" french keyboard.

Some remarks about french ibook keyboard:

1) xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
       Driver          "kbd"
       Option          "CoreKeyboard"
       Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
       Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
       #Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
       Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
       #Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection
  ===> No accesses to the special characters (~ [ ] { } | ...).

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
       Driver          "kbd"
       Option          "CoreKeyboard"
       Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
       #Option         "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
       Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
       Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
       #Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection
 ===> Access to the special characters by the KP_Enter key.

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
       Driver          "kbd"
       Option          "CoreKeyboard"
       Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
       Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
       #Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
       Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
       Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection
 ===> Access to the special characters by the Apple key.

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
       Driver          "kbd"
       Option          "CoreKeyboard"
       Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
       #Option         "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
       Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
       Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
       Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection
  ===> Access to the special characters by the Apple key or KP_Enter key.


2) package console-data

I use mac-fr-ext (/usr/share/keymaps/mac/mac-fr-ext.kmap.gz) from
package console-data, which enables me to switch to X by ctrl + Apple
+ F7 and to write special characters using alt/option key in a
console.

With the xkb-data's default setting, I switch to console by ctrl +
alt/option + Fx, and write special characters with Apple or KP_Enter
key.

I have no preference among these two default settings.


Best regards,
Bin

> and will reach mirrors in almost a day.
>
> This version is very similar to 0.8-12exp4, I believe
> that it is pretty solid, but needs more polishing.
> We can discuss to change default settings and broken
> layouts, but keep in mind that since most layouts
> were unusable, people now have different habits and
> we cannot make everybody happy with default settings.
>
> Please, test it, send feedback if something does not
> work or can be improved, write documentation for other
> powerpc users that could be included in xkb-data, etc.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Denis
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Djoume SALVETTI
Le sam 23 sep 2006 16:42:27 GMT Bin Zhang <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >I just uploaded xkb-data 0.8-13 into unstable, it
> >is available at http://people.debian.org/~barbier/tmp/
>
> Thanks. It works fine on my ibook G4 1.2Ghz 12" french keyboard.

Thanks for your work Denis, It works fine here also on my Powerbook G4
12" french keyboard, with :

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
        Option          "XkbOptions" "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection

Before that I was using xmodmap to affect Mode_switch to Apple Key.

The only thing I'm missing now is the ability to delete characters after
the cursor (SUPPR) with Mode_switch+Backspace.

Is there anybody with a french apple keyboard who know how to delete the
character after the cursor?

Regards.
--
Djoume SALVETTI


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Nicolas FRANCOIS (Nekral)
On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 03:30:04PM +0200, Djoume SALVETTI wrote:
>
> Is there anybody with a french apple keyboard who know how to delete the
> character after the cursor?

Does fn + backspace works?

--
Nekral


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Djoume SALVETTI
Le dim 24 sep 2006 18:44:22 GMT Nicolas François <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > Is there anybody with a french apple keyboard who know how to delete the
> > character after the cursor?
>
> Does fn + backspace works?

Yes, thanks, I'll use that.

--
Djoume SALVETTI


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
In reply to this post by Bin Zhang
On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 04:42:27PM +0200, Bin Zhang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 9/23/06, Denis Barbier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I just uploaded xkb-data 0.8-13 into unstable, it
> >is available at http://people.debian.org/~barbier/tmp/
>
> Thanks. It works fine on my ibook G4 1.2Ghz 12" french keyboard.
>
> Some remarks about french ibook keyboard:
>
> 1) xorg.conf
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>       Driver          "kbd"
>       Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>       Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>       Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
>       #Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
>       Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
>       #Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
> EndSection
>  ===> No accesses to the special characters (~ [ ] { } | ...).

The following for a PowerBook G4 (5,8).

Picture of the keyboard  where all this happens:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfgangpfeiffer/keyboard.PBook.g4-5.8.JPG

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7447A, altivec supported
clock           : 833.333000MHz
revision        : 0.5 (pvr 8003 0105)
bogomips        : 16.57
timebase        : 8320000
platform        : PowerMac
machine         : PowerBook5,8
motherboard     : PowerBook5,8 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 287 (PowerBook G4 15")
pmac flags      : 00000019
L2 cache        : 512K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld




I didn't install the package. Instead I used again the option of
downloading the package, unpacking it and, without installing it, then
configure the keyboard with a simple CLI one-liner:


$ dpkg -x /home/shorty/downloads/xkb-data_0.8-13_all.deb .
$ cd usr/share/X11/xkb/

With

setxkbmap -option -rules xorg -model macintosh -layout de -variant nodeadkeys  -print | xkbcomp - :0


I have a 2nd <ENTER> key .. (kp-enter) .. I don't find any ~ [ ] { } | @  keys ...


The <> (right side of the <SHIFT> key) and ^° (left of the '1' key)
keys are still swapped ...



>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>       Driver          "kbd"
>       Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>       Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>       #Option         "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
>       Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
>       Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
>       #Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
> EndSection
> ===> Access to the special characters by the KP_Enter key.

setxkbmap -option -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de -variant nodeadkeys  -print | xkbcomp - :0


This one is fine: The 2nd <ENTER> is gone now and becomes a
ISO_Level3_Shift (xev says that), left of the arrow 'LEFT' key. I find
the ~ @ \ } { | ] [ chars ...

Nice ... but the <> (right side of the <SHIFT> key) and ^° (left of the
'1' key) keys are still swapped ...

This latter set-up could become my favorite one. Somehow .. provided the
"swapped-keys" issue could be changed ... :)



>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>       Driver          "kbd"
>       Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>       Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>       Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
>       #Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
>       Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
>       Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
> EndSection
> ===> Access to the special characters by the Apple key.



setxkbmap -option -rules xorg -model macintosh -layout de -variant nodeadkeys -option lv3:lwin_switch  -print | xkbcomp - :0


I can find @ | ] [ } { ~ via some (xev says )ISO_Level3_Shift, which
actually is the "Apple" key here, left of the <SPACE> key

And I have a 2nd <ENTER> (Mac-like?) KP_Enter left of the arrow 'LEFT' key

The <> (right side of the <SHIFT> key) and ^° (left of the '1' key)
keys are still swapped ...


>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>       Driver          "kbd"
>       Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>       Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>       #Option         "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
>       Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
>       Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
>       Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
> EndSection
>  ===> Access to the special characters by the Apple key or KP_Enter key.


setxkbmap -option -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de -variant nodeadkeys -option lv3:lwin_switch  -print | xkbcomp - :0

KP_ENTER gone, @~}{|][  available via "Apple" and former KP_ENTER,
which are both now  (xev:) ISO_Level3_Shift),

The <> (right side of the <SHIFT> key) and ^° (left of the
'1' key) keys are still swapped ...

HTH

Best Regards,



--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Denis Barbier
On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 10:54:22PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
[...]

> setxkbmap -option -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de -variant nodeadkeys  -print | xkbcomp - :0
>
>
> This one is fine: The 2nd <ENTER> is gone now and becomes a
> ISO_Level3_Shift (xev says that), left of the arrow 'LEFT' key. I find
> the ~ @ \ } { | ] [ chars ...
>
> Nice ... but the <> (right side of the <SHIFT> key) and ^° (left of the
> '1' key) keys are still swapped ...
>
> This latter set-up could become my favorite one. Somehow .. provided the
> "swapped-keys" issue could be changed ... :)

Yes, it is quite difficult to determine which keyboards have these keys
swapped, so an option was added to fix it manually, try adding
  -option apple:badmap

Denis


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Denis Barbier
In reply to this post by Helge Kreutzmann
On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 03:52:11PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> So the following still needs to be done for a german ibook keyboard:
>
> 1. When pressing the key between ß? and backspace, I still get
>    nothing, while I expect ' as printed on the key. With the shift
>    modifier it works. This is keycode 21.

It works for me, please try with xev:
  KeyRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1e00001,
  root 0x135, subw 0x0, time 3784639752, (874,-79), root:(886,584),
  state 0x0, keycode 21 (keysym 0xb4, acute), same_screen YES,
  XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c2 b4) "´"

> 2. The AltGr-Bracket sequence is still "wrong", i.e. I would like the
>    PC style version, i.e. (starting at AltGR-7) {[]}\ while I get
>    (starting at AltGr-5) []|{}}\. This behaviour should be switchable.
>    Also I still wonder why "}" is on AltGr-9 *and* AltGr-0.
>
> 3. AltGr-Q still produces "«" and not "@"
>
> I am happy that you kept AltGr-Y and AltGr-X as "«" and "»".

Can you please test this patch, and if possible discuss improvements
with other German Mac users?

> Also several characters are on several positions, e.g. `, ~, |, «, ß,
>  }. As of now, I don't see this as a problem, but maybe a general
> consensus should be found regarding the AltGr-mapping.

This is indeed usually not a problem.

Denis

mac-de.diff (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
In reply to this post by Helge Kreutzmann
On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 03:52:11PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:

> 1. When pressing the key between ß? and backspace, I still get
>    nothing, while I expect ' as printed on the key. With the shift
>    modifier it works. This is keycode 21.
>
> 2. The AltGr-Bracket sequence is still "wrong", i.e. I would like the
>    PC style version, i.e. (starting at AltGR-7) {[]}\


My vote for this. Definitely. :)


>    while I get (starting at AltGr-5) []|{}}\. This behaviour should
>    be switchable.  Also I still wonder why "}" is on AltGr-9 *and*
>    AltGr-0.
>
> 3. AltGr-Q still produces "«" and not "@"


Same here, on a PowerBook5.8: ISO_Level3_Shift + Q = «

But I have the "@" on the "L" key, which actually *is* how this key is
marked on the keyboard proper .. :)
You see this on this picture of a PB5,8:
www.wolfgangpfeiffer.com/keyboard.PBook.g4-5.8.JPG

I'm not sure on whether it might become difficult to find a consensus
at times for issues like this: It seems Apple produced for (nearly ?)
every language another heavily varied version. E.g. you can compare the DE
variant bottom keys row (Picture above) with French (?) ones here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-powerpc@.../msg56274.html

Best Regards
Wolfgang


--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
In reply to this post by Denis Barbier
On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 11:19:34PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 10:54:22PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> [...]
> > setxkbmap -option -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de -variant nodeadkeys  -print | xkbcomp - :0
> >
> >
> > This one is fine: The 2nd <ENTER> is gone now and becomes a
> > ISO_Level3_Shift (xev says that), left of the arrow 'LEFT' key. I find
> > the ~ @ \ } { | ] [ chars ...
> >
> > Nice ... but the <> (right side of the <SHIFT> key) and ^° (left of the
> > '1' key) keys are still swapped ...
> >
> > This latter set-up could become my favorite one. Somehow .. provided the
> > "swapped-keys" issue could be changed ... :)
>
> Yes, it is quite difficult to determine which keyboards have these keys
> swapped, so an option was added to fix it manually, try adding
>   -option apple:badmap

Bingo!  ... :)

$ setxkbmap -option  -option apple:badmap -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de -variant nodeadkeys  -print | xkbcomp - :0

does solve this issue .... Thanks .. :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

iBook G3 annoyances

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR)
In reply to this post by Djoume SALVETTI
Hi,

I got Linux running on my iBook G3/600. Runs very fine, but i've two
question about it.

First: some daemon (i guess pbbuttonsd or powernowd) always sets the CPU
freq back to 400Mhz even when running from AC power. This is quite
annoying, since there are some "hickups" in the running of the machine,
(eg: clicks in the sound) when switching between 400Mhz and 600Mhz. I can
live with these when running from battery, but it's annoying when i need
performance, and plug the machine to use AC power.

Is there an easy (automated) way to disable freq switching and run at
600Mhz when running from AC power?

Second: the driver of the airport card seems to be quite limited, and not
supports raw monitoring(?) for now, which effectively disables all kinds
of wardriving/sniffing etc tools to be used on this machine under Linux.
If i get it well, according to the dmesg output, this driver was done by
Ben Herrenschmidt. Is there a chance to support the raw mode on this card
sometime soon?

I'd be happy to volunteer if some test environment is needed...

Kernel displays the following info about the card:

orinoco 0.15rc3 (David Gibson <[hidden email]>, Pavel
Roskin <[hidden email]>, et al)
airport 0.15rc3 (Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<[hidden email]>)
airport: Physical address 80030000
eth1: Hardware identity 0005:0001:0001:0000
eth1: Station identity  001f:0001:0008:0046
eth1: Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 8.70
eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth1: MAC address 00:30:65:11:ED:FB
eth1: Station name "HERMES I"
eth1: ready
airport: Card registered for interface eth1

lshw output:

  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 1
       logical name: eth1
       serial: 00:30:65:11:ed:fb
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=orinoco driverversion=0.15rc3
firmware=Lucent/Agere 8.70 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b

Bye,
Charlie


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iBook G3 annoyances

Børge Holen
On Monday 25 September 2006 01:10, Balogh, Karoly (Charlie/iNQ) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got Linux running on my iBook G3/600. Runs very fine, but i've two
> question about it.
>
> First: some daemon (i guess pbbuttonsd or powernowd) always sets the CPU
> freq back to 400Mhz even when running from AC power. This is quite
> annoying, since there are some "hickups" in the running of the machine,
> (eg: clicks in the sound) when switching between 400Mhz and 600Mhz. I can
> live with these when running from battery, but it's annoying when i need
> performance, and plug the machine to use AC power.

>
> Is there an easy (automated) way to disable freq switching and run at
> 600Mhz when running from AC power?

Have you tried:
onAC_Policy           = performance
in pbbuttons.conf?

>
> Second: the driver of the airport card seems to be quite limited, and not
> supports raw monitoring(?) for now, which effectively disables all kinds
> of wardriving/sniffing etc tools to be used on this machine under Linux.
> If i get it well, according to the dmesg output, this driver was done by
> Ben Herrenschmidt. Is there a chance to support the raw mode on this card
> sometime soon?
>
> I'd be happy to volunteer if some test environment is needed...
>
> Kernel displays the following info about the card:
>
> orinoco 0.15rc3 (David Gibson <[hidden email]>, Pavel
> Roskin <[hidden email]>, et al)
> airport 0.15rc3 (Benjamin Herrenschmidt
> <[hidden email]>)
> airport: Physical address 80030000
> eth1: Hardware identity 0005:0001:0001:0000
> eth1: Station identity  001f:0001:0008:0046
> eth1: Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 8.70
> eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
> eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
> eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
> eth1: MAC address 00:30:65:11:ED:FB
> eth1: Station name "HERMES I"
> eth1: ready
> airport: Card registered for interface eth1
>
> lshw output:
>
>   *-network
>        description: Wireless interface
>        physical id: 1
>        logical name: eth1
>        serial: 00:30:65:11:ed:fb
>        capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
>        configuration: broadcast=yes driver=orinoco driverversion=0.15rc3
> firmware=Lucent/Agere 8.70 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b
>
> Bye,
> Charlie

--
---
Børge
Kennel Arivene
http://www.arivene.net
---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iBook G3 annoyances

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR)
Hi,

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Børge Holen wrote:

> > Is there an easy (automated) way to disable freq switching and run at
> > 600Mhz when running from AC power?
>
> Have you tried:
> onAC_Policy           = performance
> in pbbuttons.conf?

Yes, i tried that already, and didn't help. It still switches frequency.
I wonder why though, because i have different setting for onBattery_Policy
(powersave), but there's no difference in the behaviour of the machine.
Or at least it looks there's none...

Bye,
Charlie

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Yves-Alexis Perez
In reply to this post by Denis Barbier
On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 02:19 +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Please, test it, send feedback if something does not
> work or can be improved, write documentation for other
> powerpc users that could be included in xkb-data, etc.
> Thanks for your help.

I don't really know if it's a xkb or a kernel problem, but here the
numeric keypad don't really work. I guess on osx Fn+u gives a 4, but it
doesn't here. If i numlock using Fn+F6, the led under F6 lights, but the
numeric keypad isn't activated.

Is this kernel land or userland ?
--
Yves-Alexis


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
In reply to this post by Denis Barbier
Hi Denis

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 11:34:14PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 03:52:11PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > So the following still needs to be done for a german ibook keyboard:
> >
> > 1. When pressing the key between ß? and backspace, I still get
> >    nothing, while I expect ' as printed on the key. With the shift
> >    modifier it works. This is keycode 21.
>
> It works for me, please try with xev:
>   KeyRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1e00001,
>   root 0x135, subw 0x0, time 3784639752, (874,-79), root:(886,584),
>   state 0x0, keycode 21 (keysym 0xb4, acute), same_screen YES,
>   XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c2 b4) "?"
>
> > 2. The AltGr-Bracket sequence is still "wrong", i.e. I would like the
> >    PC style version, i.e. (starting at AltGR-7) {[]}\ while I get
> >    (starting at AltGr-5) []|{}}\. This behaviour should be switchable.
> >    Also I still wonder why "}" is on AltGr-9 *and* AltGr-0.
> >
> > 3. AltGr-Q still produces "«" and not "@"
> >
> > I am happy that you kept AltGr-Y and AltGr-X as "«" and "»".
>
> Can you please test this patch, and if possible discuss improvements
> with other German Mac users?


Your patch works fine, it does not crash anything: I have an 'at' on
'Q'  .... :)

setxkbmap -option  -option apple:badmap -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de  -print | xkbcomp - :0

With the latter command I have what I want:

If I press now (xev language) "Alt_L" +  "dead_acute" and then "e", I
get "é", which is fine for me ...

"Shift_L" + "Alt_L" +  "dead_acute", then "a" gives "à".


But: I didn't see "dead_acute" on any char if I  add  "variant nodeadkeys":

$ setxkbmap -option  -option apple:badmap -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de -variant nodeadkeys  -print | xkbcomp - :0


Oh yes: { [ ] } \ are fine now  ... :)

HTH

Thanks a lot, Colin: With that version of xkb-data I'd switch off
~/.xmodmap ... :)  


Best Regards
Wolfgang




--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 12:41:44PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi Denis
>
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 11:34:14PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:

> > Can you please test this patch, and if possible discuss improvements
> > with other German Mac users?
>

What I wrote below is valid for a DE keyboard on a Powerbook 5,8 ..

Sorry for the overhead ..

Best Regards
Wolfgang

>
> Your patch works fine, it does not crash anything: I have an 'at' on
> 'Q'  .... :)
>
> setxkbmap -option  -option apple:badmap -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de  -print | xkbcomp - :0
>
> With the latter command I have what I want:
>
> If I press now (xev language) "Alt_L" +  "dead_acute" and then "e", I
> get "é", which is fine for me ...
>
> "Shift_L" + "Alt_L" +  "dead_acute", then "a" gives "à".
>
>
> But: I didn't see "dead_acute" on any char if I  add  "variant nodeadkeys":
>
> $ setxkbmap -option  -option apple:badmap -rules xorg -model powerbook -layout de -variant nodeadkeys  -print | xkbcomp - :0
>
>
> Oh yes: { [ ] } \ are fine now  ... :)
>
> HTH
>
> Thanks a lot, Colin: With that version of xkb-data I'd switch off
> ~/.xmodmap ... :)  
>
>
> Best Regards
> Wolfgang
>
>
>
>

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Jörg Sommer
In reply to this post by Helge Kreutzmann
Hallo Helge,

Helge Kreutzmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So the following still needs to be done for a german ibook keyboard:
>
> 1. When pressing the key between ß? and backspace, I still get
>    nothing, while I expect ' as printed on the key. With the shift
>    modifier it works. This is keycode 21.

It's a dead key. Press a 'e' after it and you get é. The ' is definitive
the wrong character!

> 2. The AltGr-Bracket sequence is still "wrong", i.e. I would like the
>    PC style version,

Then configure a PC style keyboard. Use pc105 instead of macintosh.

>    i.e. (starting at AltGR-7) {[]}\ while I get (starting at AltGr-5)
>    []|{}}\. This behaviour should be switchable. Also I still wonder
>    why "}" is on AltGr-9 *and* AltGr-0.
>
> 3. AltGr-Q still produces "«" and not "@"

It's a Apple keyboard. Don't use it, if you don't like it.

Bye, Jörg.
--
The UNIX Guru's View of Sex:
# unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Jörg Sommer
In reply to this post by Wolfgang Pfeiffer
Hallo Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 03:52:11PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
>
>> 1. When pressing the key between ß? and backspace, I still get
>>    nothing, while I expect ' as printed on the key. With the shift
>>    modifier it works. This is keycode 21.
>>
>> 2. The AltGr-Bracket sequence is still "wrong", i.e. I would like the
>>    PC style version, i.e. (starting at AltGR-7) {[]}\
>
> My vote for this. Definitely. :)

Use pc105 instead of macintosh. It's an Apple keyboard not a PC keyboard.

I vote for the Apple layout.

>>    while I get (starting at AltGr-5) []|{}}\. This behaviour should
>>    be switchable.  Also I still wonder why "}" is on AltGr-9 *and*
>>    AltGr-0.
>>
>> 3. AltGr-Q still produces "«" and not "@"
>
> Same here, on a PowerBook5.8: ISO_Level3_Shift + Q = «

At me, the sign @ is engraved on the L key not on the Q key. Why do you
expect a PC keyboard layout when you use an Apple keyboard?

Bye, Jörg.
--
Der Wille und nicht die Gabe macht den Geber.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Michel Dänzer-3
In reply to this post by Yves-Alexis Perez
On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 11:38 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 02:19 +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > Please, test it, send feedback if something does not
> > work or can be improved, write documentation for other
> > powerpc users that could be included in xkb-data, etc.
> > Thanks for your help.
>
> I don't really know if it's a xkb or a kernel problem, but here the
> numeric keypad don't really work. I guess on osx Fn+u gives a 4, but it
> doesn't here. If i numlock using Fn+F6, the led under F6 lights, but the
> numeric keypad isn't activated.
>
> Is this kernel land or userland ?

Most likely kernel. Its internal handling of the fn key (and num lock?)
seems incomplete.


--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |          http://tungstengraphics.com
Libre software enthusiast         |          Debian, X and DRI developer

1234